Front rotor nut torque?

9 LIVES

Demolition Expert
This is my first time doing a brake service on an older dodge. I'm used to taking rotors off that just slide off the hub on SRW trucks.

This truck is a 94 3500 2X4 independent front suspension. So the rotor has the wheel bearing inside of the rotor/hub assembly.

Question is I'm doing a fresh rotor,caliper & pads. While taking the nut loose that holds the rotor on I noticed it was only hand tight. Once I pulled the cotter pin out I was able to take the nut off with my fingers....is this right? How tight should it go back on? hand tight back on?

Another question, I was looking the parts up on advance auto website for wheel bearings & only found inner and outer bearings I did not see a part number for the dust seal that goes on the inner side to hold the bearing in. Anyone know a part number I can find?

You basically will pack the bearings with fresh grease, install into the new rotor with a new wheel seal. Install assembly onto the spindle and put on the washer and nut. Tighten to around 30 ft/lbs to set bearings while turning the rotor. After that back the nut off until it is loose then re tighten to a snug stage (probably only a couple foot pounds of pressure) new bearings can be set a little tighter than bearings that are being re used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back