front seal pouring

Sabbath5.9

Neato niceo airplane glue
ok so i parked my truck on the flattest level spot possible. filled up my trans fluid. no problems. start my truck and let it warm up. ( ten minutes) come back out. trans fluid is a steady drain coming out by what seems to be the front seal. what would cause this>?

Did you overfill it? There is a pump vent, a Hub sea, a fiber(paper), and then a square oring seal on the trans. What is the history? Rebuild it or?

Last edited:
history of the trans is 100% stock. 103k miles on it. and nope didnt over fill it. when i changed the filter i double checked with advance auto parts and they said it takes 10.4 quarts to fill. so i put 10.5 in and it didnt leak. now its like a cluster @$!#

Might check the dipstick seal, sometimes it will come around and appear to be coming from inside the trans.

ok will do. but if it is the front seal. what would cause it

Did you account for the fluid left in the converter when you drained the pan. That might cause you to accidently overfill it.

sometimes the bushing walks out towards the seal covering the drainback hole when that happens the fluid has no place to go and is forced out thru the front seal

did you get 10.4 out of it when you drained it? I bet you put the correct amount in, just didn't get it all out........

overfilled.....

filter change with stock pan is roughly 7 to 8 quarts. A complete fill on a triple disc with double deep pan is only 16 to 17 quarts. Check fluid level running and up to temp and read off the low side of the dipstick.

defentley didnt get 10.4 quarts out. ill check it after work. i gotta plug her in for a little

when yta drain em, they always hold some in the converter...... not sure if it will have hurt anything on a permanent level, it might get tot he right level and be done with leaking. keep an ey on the level on the dipstick....... checked with engine running, truck level, e brake on, trans in N..........

defentley didnt get 10.4 quarts out. ill check it after work. i gotta plug her in for a little

No offense but common sense does not exist in that statement.

Let me get this straight, you went to the parts store and bought a filter and gasket to change the fluid.
The 19 year old idiot behind the counter told you it takes 10.4 qts to fill it.
You drain 7-7.5 quarts out of the transmission when you change the filter.
Then you added 10.5 quarts.

And finally you posted and asked why would it be pouring fluid out of the front of the transmission?

If I was told to add 10.4 quarts, and I only drained 7, I would definitely consult another source or worse case scenario, only add back the same amount I drained out, then I would definitely check the fluid level immediately after starting the truck to see if it was close.

This may be a bit harsh, but, get some common sense!

No offense but common sense does not exist in that statement.

Let me get this straight, you went to the parts store and bought a filter and gasket to change the fluid.
The 19 year old idiot behind the counter told you it takes 10.4 qts to fill it.
You drain 7-7.5 quarts out of the transmission when you change the filter.
Then you added 10.5 quarts.

And finally you posted and asked why would it be pouring fluid out of the front of the transmission?

If I was told to add 10.4 quarts, and I only drained 7, I would definitely consult another source or worse case scenario, only add back the same amount I drained out, then I would definitely check the fluid level immediately after starting the truck to see if it was close.

This may be a bit harsh, but, get some common sense!

BigBlue has a point-

ThisisCompD

well i forgot to put in my original first post. the trans had been leaking fluid for a while. and i added some fluid ( 2 quarts ) to were the dipstick said full. so the day i dropped the pan. the dipstick still said max. so i implied it was full. now when i changed it. i left the pan under the truck. and started filling back up. now in the pan it did look close to 9 quarts. so after i refilled the trans. it didnt leak. it was a little above max. so we moved my truck. still not leaking. took the old fluid and put it in the quarts. which of course. there wasnt 10.4. so sorry for the confusion and stupidpity. so when i got the truck back to my house. 8 miles away,. i parked it. went inside. come out 4 hours later. theres fluid everywere. problay about a quart in the road. so i pull it in my driveway. i put a pan under it until it stopped. dripped out half a quart over night. so i started it the next day. and put the pan under just incase. and 3 quarts came out. and thats that

Check and see if its leaking from around the dip stick. I had a similar issue and the oring on the dip stick just wasn't sealing. Fill the truck up with fluid didn't see any leaks drove to work and when I got off work had a big puddle like your discribing.

well i forgot to put in my original first post. the trans had been leaking fluid for a while. and i added some fluid ( 2 quarts ) to were the dipstick said full. so the day i dropped the pan. the dipstick still said max. so i implied it was full. now when i changed it. i left the pan under the truck. and started filling back up. now in the pan it did look close to 9 quarts. so after i refilled the trans. it didnt leak. it was a little above max. so we moved my truck. still not leaking. took the old fluid and put it in the quarts. which of course. there wasnt 10.4. so sorry for the confusion and stupidpity. so when i got the truck back to my house. 8 miles away,. i parked it. went inside. come out 4 hours later. theres fluid everywere. problay about a quart in the road. so i pull it in my driveway. i put a pan under it until it stopped. dripped out half a quart over night. so i started it the next day. and put the pan under just incase. and 3 quarts came out. and thats that

Alright, now that we have the whole story, it doesn't sound that bad. (common sense)

Now the tranny, it does sound like it has a bad seal, probably the main seal that interfaces with the converter snout.

Back