fuel efficiency

12valvetater

After rebuilding my engine the fuel mileage king of sucks. It's getting between 13.3 and 13.5 just about all the time. The pistons are .020 over industrial from an 0600 cpl that has been decrowned and also have 0.050" valve reliefs. The cam is a hamilton 188/220. 0.020" was taken off the deck an it has a 0.010" over head gasket in it. The pump is a 160hp 838 that has a functioning afc which is set to fully open at 20lbs. It has no plate, 181 delivery valves, a deep rack plug, timed at 18 degrees, and was benched at 425 cc. The injectors are stock 215s that were all checked and reshimed. The turbo is an hx40 with a 14cm wastegated housing the wastegated is not hooked up. The most boost I've seen is 45lbs at around 1500degrees. It has 4.10s and a 5 speed. I realize the engine is decompressed but I think it should do better than what it currently is. Does anyone have any advice on how I can pick it up some?

You are also a 4.10 five speed.. Automatics have a higher overdrive ratio which nets better fuel mileage and 4.10 gears will hold you back too. Usually you best fuel mileage is netter around 1700rpm in your highest gear.

You are also a 4.10 five speed.. Automatics have a higher overdrive ratio which nets better fuel mileage and 4.10 gears will hold you back too. Usually you best fuel mileage is netter around 1700rpm in your highest gear.

How do you figure 1,700 rpm is the sweat spot for fuel mileage?

I have a thread that I found fuel consumption at rpm. 1800-1900 was the sweet spot for a 400hp marine 12v

before you go farther....you are calculate based on rolling radius of tire, correct? have you compared your speedo/odo to a GPS?

what is the rolling radius of your tire?

I'm not questioning I'm just wondering how that rpm was arrived at. I get average right around 20 mpg (combination of highway and city) with my pretty close to bone stock 12 valve, 4x4, 3.55, on 275/65/R18. On the highway I run 60 mph all the time, with the cruise control set, which is at about 1750ish. That's where my best fuel mileage is.

It has a haze at shifts and will smoke a little heavy at full throttle, but pretty much clears up to a haze under full boost. The tires are 285/75-16 terra grapplers. I can't remember now if the afc is all the way open at 20 lbs. It may be 30. My first engine typically got in the 18ish range, and my second one was getting 20-21 mpg before it broke a valve. They both had stock pistons. I have noticed the smoke has more of a dark grayish look than my other engines but they both had hx35s on them. I believe the Speedo is pretty accurate though, if I remember correctly it had matched up with roadside radar signs. As far as rpm versus fuel use, it should be according mainly to timing. If you overlay a timing cart with a dyno sheet, your best efficiency should be at the point where the two lines cross each other. I have not dynoed the engine so I have no clue where that would be though.

My best mileage is 2200rpm. It changes for every one based on tire circumference, gears, turbo/fueling, trans, ride height, etc...

In my experience, injectors/piston/compression ratio/head work/camshafts/turbo combinations that haze at idle get the best mileage on the highway when cruising rpm is 2000-2400 range and the motor is making at least 5 psi boost.

It's a well known fact that wind resistance increases exponentially as MPH increases so the faster you go, the more wind resistance losses you'll experience. However, on modified setups, it seems that 5-10 psi boost pressure is required for peak motor efficiency. Cruising at 55mph with 0 boost has much less wind resistance than say cruising at 75mph with 5 psi boost, but that 5 psi boost in some instances will add more efficiency to the motor than the lost energy due to higher wind resistance.

Case in point my 98' 12 valve:

When it had 4x.013" 155* marine injectors with 18* timing, stock turbo, stock motor, 285 tires with 3.55 gear ratio, the truck would get 17.5-18 mpg at 65 mph cruise and 2-3 psi boost.

Raising the cruising rpm to near 2000 resulted in 75 mph cruise and 5-6 psi boost and the truck would get 19.25-20 mpg all day long.

I tested at 80 mph and mileage dropped back down to the 18-18.5 range.

I tested at 55 mph and fuel mileage picked up to 18.25-18.5 range and the motor would put along at 1600 rpm or so with 0-1 psi boost pressure.

Fast Forward to today with HX35 over HT60 twins and larger injector 5x.016" 145*. Optimum fuel economy testing at 18* timing resulted in a much lower optimal cruising mph. 65 mph is now right at 19-19.25 mpg and 75+ mph has significantly dropped back down to 17.5mpg range. Cruising boost at 75 MPH is 7-10 psi with likely equal back pressure. Cruising boost at 65 MPH is 4-6 psi (With twins, cruising boost fluctuates a lot more than single stock turbo).

FYI, every injector size I've tried has shown a slightly different optimum cruising rpm/boost range. In general, the smaller the nozzle orifice size, the less boost required to get peak efficiency from the motor.

In summary, every motor has an individual efficiency curve that typically is a parabolic shaped bell curve. Every vehicle has individual wind drag curve that's somewhat exponential meaning the faster the vehicle moves, the wind drag goes up exponentially.

Optimum fuel economy is where these two curves cross. All of the rambling above is evidence that every injector/turbo/cam/timing setup is different and will reach peak efficiency at different rpm ranges.

4:10....the devil for fuel mileage. Never owned/known a 4:10 truck to get all that great of fuel mileage.

I got 18 with them and 35s. With 33s i get 16 max

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Won't argue that a bit. 35s change the theoretical gearing quite a bit. I'm talking relatively stock trucks with 285 tire size max

Sent from my Obama foneeeeeee!!!!! (Jay Kay)

4:10....the devil for fuel mileage. Never owned/known a 4:10 truck to get all that great of fuel mileage.

My 1st Gens that had manual trans and 4.10s got damn good mileage. One was extended cab, the other regular. My regular cab running 65mph with 33x12.5 MTs and aluminum 16.5 wheels netted me a best of 23.4mpg and ran 20-21mpg every day, any day at highway speeds in summer. That setup put me at 2000-2200 rpms. My extended cab with stock tires and running 65mph netted me 22mpg once and averaged 19-21 in summer.

My 1st Gens that had manual trans and 4.10s got damn good mileage. One was extended cab, the other regular. My regular cab running 65mph with 33x12.5 MTs and aluminum 16.5 wheels netted me a best of 23.4mpg and ran 20-21mpg every day, any day at highway speeds in summer. That setup put me at 2000-2200 rpms. My extended cab with stock tires and running 65mph netted me 22mpg once and averaged 19-21 in summer.

That's pretty dArn good for 4:10s!

Sent from my Obama foneeeeeee!!!!! (Jay Kay)

1st gen equals variable timing though. Apples to oranges I think. Good thread, good info!

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk

My father owns a 98 12 valve, auto, 2wd, ECLB, with 4.10, bone stock. We went on a 400 mile trip to buy my truck in Delaware. It is a 96, 12 valve, auto 4 wheel drive, 33's, 3.55, ECLB, bone stock. We just cruised home at 60 mph. Filled up shortly after we left the dealer and put no fuel in them until we got home that night, both trucks got 24 mpg.

Back