fuel gauge acting strange

Ltk

Broke
my fuel gauge has been messed up for well over a year now. has never read anything except empty. always thought it was a sending unit. now today it goes up and down every couple minutes. slowly fills up to full, then drops to empty. would a sending unit do this? why has it not moved in a year then all of a sudden it does?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

my fuel gauge has been messed up for well over a year now. has never read anything except empty. always thought it was a sending unit. now today it goes up and down every couple minutes. slowly fills up to full, then drops to empty. would a sending unit do this? why has it not moved in a year then all of a sudden it does?

Curious about this as well. Mine has been doing it since I got the truck.

Sent from my paperweight

have you replaced the sending unit?

also if i take my truck back to stock it works for about 30 minutes then quits again..

Not yet. It's on my list of things to do today. Mines on a 98 12v so I know it's not tuning lol. My symptoms aren't exactly the same but are very similar. My gauge reads correctly when it works, but it randomly drops to empty. It also takes 10-15 miles of driving after a fill up to get to full. It will drop to empty and then the needle will bounce up a little higher each time.

Sent from my paperweight

thats strange. electrical problem maybe? i couldnt see your sig so i didnt know if maybe you were running a smarty and that had something to do with it..

thats strange. electrical problem maybe? i couldnt see your sig so i didnt know if maybe you were running a smarty and that had something to do with it..

I'm not sure. All the connections seem fine. I'm going to put a sending unit in just to be sure.

Sent from my paperweight

When i first discovered that mine was bad it said i had a 1/4 tank left. A year went buy and it got worse. So when i redid my fuel system i put a new one in. I just re placed the float unit in mine. Not the whole sending unit. Works just fine now.

next free day i have off work im going to drop the tank and replace it. hopefully itll fix. ive also tested voltage and continuity and cannot find anything wrong. so it has to be something on the unit itself i guess. but then again i may be wrong

curious as well...mine was stuck at 1/4 tank for while now its always on E but occasionally it will jump up to full

i just want to understand how its possible. is there a short somewhere, was the arm on the unit messed up?

cant believe theres this many people with bad ones

mine has a lose connection on the top of the tank. It sends the Ohm readings off and never reads the correct fuel level

Back