Fuel Lab acted up again... Coincidence or not?

strokin6.4

Alright long story short I tried starting by 6.0 about a month ago with dead ass batteries and it popped the inline fuse. So I talked to some people and they said dead batteries could cause that. So I put batteries and I fuse in it fired right up... now fast forward 3 weeks to this week. Im probably 40 minutes into running errands problem free in on and off heavy rain and my fuel pressure gauge starts bouncing around. I pull over and the fuel pump sounds like it's doing Morse code. I shut truck off and turn key back on still doing it. Reach under make sure all the connection or still on, they are. So turn the key on, fine. Drive it home 5 miles, fine. Haven't drove it since but have started it a couple times and everything fine. My question is could water laying on the connections been arcing off each other and causing that to happen? I've driven in rain before and never noticed it though? Thanks for the help guys

Unless its heavily modded, why did you replace the factory pump?
they are extremely hard to beat for under 500 hp..
But anyways, I would call fuelab and see what they say.

I don't see how dead batteries can or would cause a fuse to blow either. I think the pump has issues.

Yes. Low voltage causes a "brown-out" to most things and is not good.

I wouldn't suspect water on the connections to cause problems either unless you were running in the edge of the ocean where the salt content is high. Water that falls from the sky is not a good conductor as it doesn't contain all the minerals that would make it arc good. $.02

So I'm probably going to be looking at a bad pump sometime in my future then?

It is a possibility.

Fuel lab pumps run a brushless motor correct?

Brushless motors themselves are pretty tough. The board that tells the motor what to do isn't so durable. As mentioned previously the board may be taking a crap in the near future.

Do any of you guys know if you can mount an a1000 vertically? Might just put that in my setup but my fuelab is vertical

I would give Fuelab a call and see what they suggest. They are a great group of guys and I'm sure they can help you in any way possible.

The motor itself wouldn't be affected by the battery problem.

However, the controller could have been affected. Think of the controller like your PC or laptop- flipping the power on and off or trying to use it under brownout conditions (as mentioned above) can cause all kinds of problems. What is the serial number of the pump? I can get a better idea as to what revision the pump is if I had that bit of info. We have upgraded the controllers over the years to make them more robust, but anything can happen.

If it continues to act up, send me a PM and I can get you an RMA number to send it in to be checked out. If the controller is bad, we will know what caused it once we see which component(s) failed. If it's covered under warranty, we will repair it and send it back to you. If it's not covered under warranty, we will call you with an estimate before doing the repairs. Non-warranty repairs are generally inexpensive- we just try to break even on that kind of thing.

Just tried to send you a PM, but your inbox is full....

We just a got a call from the postal inspecptor that took delivery of the pump off of the airplane in Missouri. Apparently the pump was not properly drained/packaged and diesel fuel has leaked all over the place. They are currently holding the pump because of the chemical smell and mess. I'm not sure what their current plan is, but it looks like it's not going to get here today. Our shipping/receiving guy just received the notice a few minutes ago. When I hear something else, I will let you know.

Back