Fuel leak

ChrisNickerson

SingleCab 24V
Hey guy i got this fuel leak i can not pin point, the drip is dripping onto the bell housing, not from anywhere else. Just put in JL machine 100hp injectors in on monday of last week don't think it has anything to do with it but i suppose it could. Replaced the fuel return line bolt saturday night. Snugged up all fuel lines just to check, and still a leak. Went back to it yesterday and tightened up the fuel return line got a little turn out of it, it seems the leak has slowed down a little bit. got out to my truck this afternoon after class and it was only a quarter size drip, started out as a puddle. the truck still runs and drives no different than it ever has which leads me think it couldn't be fuel lines, cause then air would get into the lines and make it b!tch to start and it would probably drive like crap. Any thing else you guy could think of for me to check would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks chris

You replaced the return line banjo coming out of the back of the head?

Last edited:
im going to guess you didnt get a good clean surface for the copper washers to mate to or the back injection line is still leaking

nope. mine use to leak all the time. its probably just seaeping by your discription of the quarter size puddle

Last edited:
You should probably check all of the injection lines at the head. You could have a very slight leak that seeps between the threads of the nut in the head which runs down the intake plenum (in the crack between the head and the intake plate) then down toward the rear of the engine. It's not easy to see at first glance.

If it was leaking from the return line at the rear of the head, you should be able to wipe your finger across the rear of the head/block or bottom of the bolt to feel the leak.

Clean up everything real nice with some brake clean and shop towel.

Start engine and watch/feel very closely for fuel. If you find nothing, drive it down the street and check again.

Just because the nuts are tight in the head doesn't mean it won't leak from there. One of the cross over tubes could have been slightly damaged, or it may just need to be replaced.

Last edited:
Thanks for the idea. I will definitely clean everything up tomorrow and try to pin point this leak.

i did not replace the rubber o-rings on crossover tubes. But it has no problem starting and it drives the same has it did before i found leak

Id put money on the #6 line. Mine has done that before, it is a very slow leak and you can't see it that well. I usually tighten that one then loosen it and tighten it again it seems to cure the problem

i did not replace the rubber o-rings on crossover tubes. But it has no problem starting and it drives the same has it did before i found leak

A slow leak and/or a damaged o-ring on an injector tube won't always make the engine hard to start or drive any different. More often than not, you won't have any issues, other than a puddle of fuel under the truck.

Back