fuel mileage help

Juseman

Any suggestions for help with fuel mileage? I get around 16 in normal country driving and 17 highway and terrible mileage in town where I go to school.

The SEARCH feature of CompD is currently working, try it...It works! Otherwise - Tune, intake or aftermarket filter, exhaust. Stock or at least not big mud tires, clean fuel filter. Synthetic gear oils if you want to get fancy

Need a little more info on the truck. I've tried most everything and can't do better than 16.3 . I'm currently testing a group of about 4 additives. I'm on the 3rd and there's been only tenths of a MPG difference in them all so far.

PPE 90 hp tune, 4 inch exhaust, AFE intake, change fuel filter regularly, and I don't roll coal

thanks, I just thought this was low, i always hear about exaggerated mpg numbers i guess

Over the years I think I've tried just about all the additives out there and I have yet to find one that really helps mpg any. Sure you can find a little here or there but after a 10 tank average they all come in the same. I get right at 17-18mpg with a mix of city type driving. I can get 21mpg on the open hwy if and only if I stay at 62 -65 mpg and stay very steady on the throttle, my normal driving at 65 - 75 on the hwy is 19 mpg

Yea, I've all but lost hope in a mileage improving additive but still trying. The small gains I see are worth the small amount of trouble it is so far. All I have left to try is XPD opti-lube. If there's no difference much I'l probably stay with it.

PPE 90 hp tune, 4 inch exhaust, AFE intake, change fuel filter regularly, and I don't roll coal

thanks, I just thought this was low, i always hear about exaggerated mpg numbers i guess

What year and engine? Stick or auto? What tires? Lift?

I know I can get an honest 21 running 70-75 on interstate with my BURB IF I can keep my foot out of it for the most part. The best I have seen was right around 23 which was about 75% highway staying under 65, and the rest in town stop and go. Worst tank so far has been 9.5 towing my travel trailer at speeds no travel trailer that tall should be going. All numbers are hand calcualted with no additives.

Duramax LLY motor, auto, Wrangler Authority's 265's, no lift, and its a light single cab........just trying to make an efficient truck with a little power

What year and engine? Stick or auto? What tires? Lift?

I know I can get an honest 21 running 70-75 on interstate with my BURB IF I can keep my foot out of it for the most part. The best I have seen was right around 23 which was about 75% highway staying under 65, and the rest in town stop and go. Worst tank so far has been 9.5 towing my travel trailer at speeds no travel trailer that tall should be going. All numbers are hand calcualted with no additives.

When your all done try good old ATF. Use the cheap stuff not the expensive ones. I put about 1/8 qt to 10 gallons. The motor smooths out after a few tanks and I see as good of a mileage increase as I saw with anything else, and I like adding extra lube to the low sulfur fuel anyways.

Egr blocker and cat delete should gain 2-3 mpg

I get about the same as Steve said, 17-18 mixed city highway and 21 highway at around 65-70 mph. Have done as well as 23-24 highway but that was only once.

When your all done try good old ATF. Use the cheap stuff not the expensive ones. I put about 1/8 qt to 10 gallons. The motor smooths out after a few tanks and I see as good of a mileage increase as I saw with anything else, and I like adding extra lube to the low sulfur fuel anyways.

I ran ATf and even 2 stroke in the past. the 2 stroke quietened it out better than anything else, but nothing seems to have helped my milage much other than me keeping my fat foot out of it. I'm sure I could do better, but thta would mean babying it and I like hearing the turbo to much.

I already got rid of the cat....how difficult is it to do the egr delete and what about a downpipe? would that help? I will try the premix or atf.

thanks!

I resemble the heavy foot problem. Left LA on a Monday morning, truck and 40' on the back and pulled into Santa Rosa ,NM Monday night. Got up Tuesday morning and pulled into Kansas City, MO Tuesday at 6 pm. 1652 miles door to door. With only a 300 mile range towing there were lots of fuel stops along the way!

You should try a good EFI tune, I've got a customer with an '05 crew cab 4x4 averaging 18-20 mixed city driving and getting as much as 26 on the highway. He has an S&B intake, BD driver manifold, AFE intercooler pipes, 5' exhaust, egr block and pcv reroute, our EFI tuning. His best was using the mileage coach on his CTS insight, not a typical number but 20 is completely normal for his truck. He also uses Opti Lube XPD in it. Just my $.02

I'd like to see the math on 26 mpg

I've gotten 24 out of my 12 valve on the highway before, so if that old thing can do it, I know an EFI tuned Duramax can. I'm not saying he gets that every tank, that was a test he did running the speed limit, slow starting and stopping, following the mileage coach toll on his edge. It's completely possible, but what kind of fun is it, right? lol

Last edited:
Back