fuel pressure question? fuel filter or over flow valve?

hereismylife

Unknow at this time
I finally got a temp gauge hooked up at the line from filter to injection pump. My pressure is around 10 psi. I pinched the return line and it goes to 60 psi so does that mean my filter is plugged or the ofv is going out?

How do you know if the filter is clogged ?

thanks

try stretching the spring inside the OFV first and see if pressure goes up then take for a spin and see what happens. when was the last time u changed filter ?

I replaced the filter 10/09 have about 4000 miles on it...

I was thinking about the spring but how will you know when to far is enough?

I stretch em to just over a half inch.. seems to work for a little while.

I finally got a temp gauge hooked up at the line from filter to injection pump. My pressure is around 10 psi. I pinched the return line and it goes to 60 psi so does that mean my filter is plugged or the ofv is going out?

How do you know if the filter is clogged ?

thanks

That means your OFV is bad.

If the filter is clogged the pressure before the filter would be much greater than the pressure after.

If your lift pump is bad the pressure would not rise when you pinch the return line.

sorry for the little hijack but how do i get the spring out?

Garrett

Unscrew the cap on the top of the OFV and the spring will be inside. Be sure not to loose any shims. If you can adding shims is a good alternative to stretching the spring.

overflowvalve.gif

mine didnt look like that. guess it doesnt have a cap on top.

this is what mine looks like.
228502572_tp.jpg

Garrett

Not trying to highjack the thread or anything but a few weeks back I found a post about the fuel pressure gauge and install but now I can't seem to find it again. What pressure gauge is needed and how do I go about installing it?

228502572_tp.jpg

Garrett

Not sure why you dont have fuel pouring out the open end of that, You need another OF valve.

Not trying to highjack the thread or anything but a few weeks back I found a post about the fuel pressure gauge and install but now I can't seem to find it again. What pressure gauge is needed and how do I go about installing it?

The gauge I use is a 0-60lb liquid filled, I took the factory banjo bolt out of the fuel inlet of the pump tapped it to 1/8 pipe and installed a pushlock barbed fitting then using Parker pushlock hose I ran that to the inside of the truck and installed the gauge. Works perfect

The model Garrett has is a Bosch OFV but just different to the one with the bolt on top of it. Both work the same but the double check ball model (Garrett's) is not serviceable. It is quite a lot cheaper than it's serviceable counterpart with a bolt on top.

I played with both the models and then made my own boost regulated fuelpress regulator. At the time I didn't know that well about that Aeromotive product and might have bought that one myself had I known.

228502572_tp.jpg

Garrett

That appears to be the same one that came on my dads 99 vp truck.. Unless it has a stiffer spring in it, I'd say that one belongs on a 24 valve.

u can also take the spring out of a ball point pen and put it in there with the stock spring.....

i got rid of the whole thing and went with one of these Aeromotive 13301 - Aeromotive Universal Bypass Regulators - Overview - SummitRacing.com
and an aeromotive fuel pump with new lines and bigger/better filters in easier to reach spots....

You better keep an eye on that regulator as it's meant for gas and the diesel will eat the seals out of it. You should look for a regulator that is compatible with alcohol as it has viton seals and the diesel won't eat it.

yeah i know..... i'm actually using this one....
Aeromotive 13105 - Aeromotive Compact EFI Fuel Regulators - Overview - SummitRacing.com

i was in a hurry yesturday, figured the alcohol rating would hold up.

i'm going to be rigging up a switch for my fuel pump in the cab, so in the winter i can turn it off, function my grids 2 or 3 times, turn it on and fire up my rig. would make it easy to control a run away as well. IF that ever happened

That's cool.....I have been looking at that one to. Just gotta get it ordered and plumb it in.

redneck fuel system - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together
How Brandon solved his fuel system. - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

2 decent reads.... i followed it loosely, ended up with 1/2" lines, dual feed to injection pump, 3/8" return to reg then to tank... 150micron fuel water seperator/pump/5ft of line/2micron fuel filter. i should take a pic of under my truck... i got 2 fuel filters tucked up and out of the way, plus the filter on my tranny cooler lines... braided stainless all over the place.. ahahah

So I can remove my ofv and get one of these adjustable regs?

Does the adjustable reg have to be 1:1?

that is boost reference 1:1.... and it's more then just take out OFV and install regulator... it takes quite a few fittings and some new lines to do it.

new OFV is cheaper route....

Yes but do I need a 1:1 reg? Does it need to be a boost reference reg?

I do know it is not a plug and play.

Back