fuel pressure question? fuel filter or over flow valve?

Yes but do I need a 1:1 reg? Does it need to be a boost reference reg?

I do know it is not a plug and play.

No. There will be no noticeable difference by adding a boost reference regulator. Usually its only hooked up because the regulator is already there and they can. There is no gain.

All things considered I would just get a new overflow valve. They are just as reliable, cheaper, simpler, and smaller that getting a regulator. The only time you need to get a regulator is if you get an aftermarket pump that doesn't have a regulator built in.

precisely.... i don't have the boost reference hooked up... i just set it @ 45ish psi and bam done..

22psi idleing.... and as rpm's go up so does fuel pressure.... because mechanical fuel pump is ran off the cam...

45ish psi full throttle

and i can tell the difference in my pedal adjusting it from 30-60 psi

22psi idleing.... and as rpm's go up so does fuel pressure.... because mechanical fuel pump is ran off the cam...

45ish psi full throttle

and i can tell the difference in my pedal adjusting it from 30-60 psi

I understand that the lp is at 20 at idle and 40 at wot.

I am just wondering how can you tell that the ofv goes to 45?

mine didnt look like that. guess it doesnt have a cap on top.

this is what mine looks like.
228502572_tp.jpg

Garrett

Forget what I said, had a brain fart, P-3000 pumps had those on them, half drunk and couldnt see the check ball that seals it...lol

On another note, Ive never seen a stock lift pump make over 25psi ever, may be with a modded OFV ??

For the last 14 months we have been testing and reverse engineering the overflow valve. A new design will be released soon. Anyway, I installed a precise flow meter and pressure gauge on my 98 test mule. I DID NOT change the fuel filter for 17,000 miles for testing purposes. I did this purposely knowing we would be testing fuel flow. Do not do this on your truck. It's really bad maintenance. The fuel flow from filter to injection pump increased by almost 40% and fuel pressure increased by 9 PSI just by changing the filter. The fuel filter is rated at only 23.7 GPH which is about half the rated flow of the Carter lift pump. I hope this sheds some light on the importance of the fuel filter. A dirty filter can reduce pressure, flow and performance.

Strokercummins

For the last 14 months we have been testing and reverse engineering the overflow valve. A new design will be released soon. Anyway, I installed a precise flow meter and pressure gauge on my 98 test mule. I DID NOT change the fuel filter for 17,000 miles for testing purposes. I did this purposely knowing we would be testing fuel flow. Do not do this on your truck. It's really bad maintenance. The fuel flow from filter to injection pump increased by almost 40% and fuel pressure increased by 9 PSI just by changing the filter. The fuel filter is rated at only 23.7 GPH which is about half the rated flow of the Carter lift pump. I hope this sheds some light on the importance of the fuel filter. A dirty filter can reduce pressure, flow and performance.

Strokercummins

I might be interested in this "new" design....

spend $100 bux on by-pass regulator and never worry about it EVER again....

Hi Guys

I just finished writing a 3 1/2 page article on the Cummins fuel system and lift pump. This in depth article, covers the basics of the lift pump and why it's effciency is VERY LOW. This translates into low fuel pressure at WOT. This information is based on hundreds of tests on the fuel system. Article number two will deal with the details, on what you can do to make make your Cummins fuel system more efficient. Having higher fuel flow and fuel pressure will make HP improvements much easier. I hope you like the article!

Feel free to send this article to your diesel friends. I want these tests to be in the hands of diesel owners and performance entusiasts.

All you have to do, to read this important article, is to copy and paste this link into your address bar.

The Cummins Lift Pump

Rob Parelli
Tork Teknology

Back