Fuel sump placement on 2nd gen tank...?

Since the bottom of the fuel tank in my 2nd Gen is essentially flat is there any preference for the location of the fuel sump ? Are there any type of baffles or anything on the inside of the tank I need to worry about when drilling the 3" hole or is the inside of the tank smooth? Thanks

Since the bottom of the fuel tank in my 2nd Gen is essentially flat is there any preference for the location of the fuel sump ? Are there any type of baffles or anything on the inside of the tank I need to worry about when drilling the 3" hole or is the inside of the tank smooth? Thanks

i actually put mine at the rear of the tank thinking under acceleration fuel would slosh to back which it does but at 1/4 tank or less the truck would shut off fromm fuel starvation when i came to a stop and the fuel sloshed to the front of the tank.

Its good practice to keep the tank half full or more but id shoot for the middle of the tank or towards the front a little.

Another thing i purchased a draw straw kit and used it as my return setup. i got the one with the factory return fitting and then put a 3/8 pushlock for my fuel lab lift pump and just plugged the last port. I dropped my tank to install the sump. pulled out the the whole fuel gauge and inner filter unit.

also i removed all but one screen in the interior fuel bowl and drilled a coulple hole in the plastic bowl to help drain it faster back to the sump. you will see what i mean whe u pull it out.

Figured there would be more hits on this. Gotta put mine in soon

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Ya me too.

I'm wanting to do this without dropping the tank or lifting the bed and I definetely don't like to hear your still having a 1/4 tank issue! I made my fuel sump to use it instead of the draw straw because I've heard so many issues with it. I want to be able to drive through my entire fuel gauges range of motion which leaves me about 2-3 gallons in the tank just like I could with the factory setup.

So why did you feel you needed to remove those screens and drill holes in the factory canister?

when i put my 1/2'' draw straw in i found a low spot in the middle of the tank for clearance reasons. ive ran the truck well into the low fuel warning light and have had no problems. and make sure you cut the grooves into the bottom of the straw and its 1/8'' off the bottom of the tank.

i put my hellman sump about 3/4 twords the back of the tank. no problems but my truck isnt driven in stop and go traffic.

I have my hellman sump and i put it right in the middle under the sending unit. I have ran it down to 1 gallon and i drive it everywhere and never had a problem

I too put mine right in the middle below the old sending unit. I have run my tank dry without an issue. I would think that putting it too far forward or too far back would lead to still having 1/4 tank issues. That is just my. 02.

im going to be working on mine later today if i remeber ill take some pictures of my location

I have my hellman sump and i put it right in the middle under the sending unit. I have ran it down to 1 gallon and i drive it everywhere and never had a problem

Wish I put mine there. It fit under the sending unit without any clearance issues?

I ended up putting mine right behind it and I have 1/4 tank issues...

yeah no problem at all. When i was drilling i had noidea i was right under it, i just eyeballed it and i drilled right in the screen on the bottom lol but it was about 2-3'' above the bottom of the tank.

Ya me too.

I'm wanting to do this without dropping the tank or lifting the bed and I definetely don't like to hear your still having a 1/4 tank issue! I made my fuel sump to use it instead of the draw straw because I've heard so many issues with it. I want to be able to drive through my entire fuel gauges range of motion which leaves me about 2-3 gallons in the tank just like I could with the factory setup.

So why did you feel you needed to remove those screens and drill holes in the factory canister?

The factory fuel unit in my tank worked like a catch bowl. the pick up is inside this bowl which moved up and down with fuel level. since the the new pick up is a at the bottom of the tank and all my return lines(factory and aftermarket pump return) sat in this bowl i wanted it to flow out of that bowl quickly so it could return to the sump. The fuellab pump flows a rediculous amount of fuel. with my regulated return it could over flow that bowl quickly. I justed wanted fuel always hitting the bottom of the tank to the sump and not sitting in that bowl draining out slowly. It can hold about a half gallon in it and the drain is very small so i punched holes in it to empty it faster and the screens were dirty and shot. I took those out and ran pre and post filters in my setup. It worked nicely other than the 1/4 tank issue. Its regulated at 17 psi and never moves. idle to wide open the gauge never drops.

also i didnt want to drop my tank either but the install was much easier with the tank out from under the truck. also i was able to test the sump for leaks without haveing it under the truck. A little more time consuming but well worth it

Back