Fueling issues

Headcase98002

I started out my pump swap with a 190hp industrial pump. For the first year or so, it ran really good, but idled a bit dirty. It consisted of .078" lines, stock tubes, and some 024 DV's from BigBlue24v. The 190hp went out, so I purchased a stage #3 180hp pump from Seth. Drove it around the yard and to work twice without an exhaust, and finally built a good stack and installed a glacier mechanical pump with a Beans Sump. I couldn't get that to prime properly, so I traded that in for a Airdog 4g and continued to use the Sump. The AirDog return is directly over the sump, but I'm still having priming issues.

I still ain't finished. The baby woke up....once above 1/4 tank, the truck starts fine. My fuel pressure is 35-40psi according to my crappy ISS Pro gauge. On top of that, I have another issue. If I drive my truck aggressively, it starts to pop and sputter. Still pulls itself but sounds awful. I noticed yesterday, I can progressively accelerate and it runs fine, but seems to never smoke, which is awesome, but I was under the consumption that the 035's were bigger than the 024's. I have a mechanical gauge coming to verify the fuel pressure. My timing started out at 20°, but seems to slip, so I fixed it and upped it to 22° and really slipped again. Found a bad lock washer and set it at 25° and it's good. Just kind of stumped and with a 1 week baby at home I need some ideas to make my time a little quicker.

I'm measuring pressure at the T fitting in the dual feed going into the pump. I purchased a bigger spring and I'm going to route the AirDog return away from the sump as soon as I get a nice day.

NOTE: I did swap in a (NEW) mechanical fuel pressure gauge to verify my pressure readings. It's sitting around 28psi and fluctuates just a touch. Tried upping the pressure and it didn't change.

Last edited:
When the timing slipped how far back did it slip? Are you looking at the right timing chart?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just measured plunger lift when I first recieved it. It's set @ 18, but I didn't check it to see where it was at. There was some pregnancy complications and we thought the baby was coming now, so I just reset it.

This will sound funny but I had a truck that was acting the same and a previous shop had installed the airdog and some how switched the return and pressure line. Just something to check. But it acted EXACTLY the same.

I have it plumbed correctly, it's had the priming issue since the sump install. Even with the Glacier Fuel BOSS. And its popped out the exhaust since the new p-pump.

Got home around 5:15 this evening and pulled the bed. Drained the tank down to maybe 2 gallons of fuel left. Didn't see anything abnormal. The fuel module vent is clean and venting like it should. Pulled my original FASS draw-straw out to cut off and delete. Gutted my factory fuel pump module and directed the AirDog return to it. I called it day, but there should be nothing obstructing the path to the Sump.

Also ordered a stiffer spring for the AirDog as well and it should be here tomorrow.

Tried swapping springs, but they ended up being the same exact spring. I did notice that when I try and raise the fuel pressure with the built in regulator, that the pump changes noise. You can hear the fluid escaping like something isn't sealing correctly.

I'm starting to think you have a pump problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what is sounds like. I'm probably going to pull some of the pump apart tomorrow and clean it out and make sure nothing foreign has gotten through. I have an email into AirDog, I'll also be giving them a call on Monday. Tired of not being able to really drive the truck.

Got in touch with airdog and he told me I needed to seat the regulator, tried that with no change. Just installed the new regulator they shipped me with the same results. Getting frustrated with $700+ purchase and it sucks from the get go.

Fuel pressure is fixed, now if only I can figure out this poppong coming through the exhaust.

i don't think your timing is correct. did you set the timing or the shop that installed the pump? also did you/they clean the lock washer, nut, and shaft with brake cleaner before tightening the pump nut? if not, the pump gear could have slipped a tiny bit.

I installed the pump and set the timing. Cleaned everything with brake clean and let it dry. This last time I found a faulty lock washer, replaced it with a 20mm lock washer from a hardware store, and it seems better, consistant. When I did the pump swap I timed it to 21° of the truck and just installed it. As of now, I'm using the cam gear timing pin for TDC. I'm curious is my cam gear is walking? Seriously thinking of buying a keys pump gear.

With a six week old baby, it's hard to get anything accomplished. But yes, pulling the injector/timing cover is my next step.

Back