Fueling Problem...VP?

I have a campaign pump but you really need to relocate it at the tank and get some 3/8 rubber fuel line and get rid of the small supply line. I would by a walbro gl 392 on ebay because I am on my 3rd campaign pump in 2 years next one is the walbro. Your problem sounds like the TPS to me.

i fixed mine finally,,,quit on the timing,went back to a powermax comp.,,,,problem solved.no more bucking,shuddering or any of the like,just smooth smoking power....bama

I don't know if you have cured your problem or not. We have had some experience with trucks doing this. You have checked most everything BUT have you changed out the TPS? The signal that the TPS sends to the ECM can jump up and down or can be unstable when worn out. The fueling box makes it worse because the extra fueling amplifies the gov. regulation or makes the system more sensitive. This causes the bucking you have experienced. With the miles that I see you have on your truck it is VERY likely the TPS is worn out and is causing this condition. A friend that lives next to me had this exact problem and with about as many miles. TPS fixed his. Maybe you have already fixed it? Just trying to help.

Jory,

i sent the apps finally...it was supposed to go out last week with the fedex stuff from my work...but the dumbass kid who drops off our fed-ex stuff forgot and had it in his car for a week :kick:

so anyway, i got it from him and took it to the post office on my way home tuesday and shipped it.

you might get it today!

good luck!

Thanks TJ. I got it this morning. I really hope it IS the TPS. I'm tired of pulling my hair out. It really SUCKS pulling a trailer in the cold weather because the surge is times 10 or so. The more fuel required to go up a hill with the added load just makes it miserable to tolerate. I'll try to make some time this week to mess with it. Now that the 32F mornings are almost gone, I'll have to catch some cold weather to test it.

TJ, are you wanting this doodad back or is it ok to experiment with it? I'm driving the truck in tomorrow so if I can open this one up today at work I can probably replace mine tonight. Your call. Thanks again. I greatly appreciate it!

If you swap them and find it cures your problem you can keep it. But if it doesn't cure the problem at all, I don't want you to cut it up because its still good as a spare for me or someone since the problem i had with would only happen once every 100-200 miles or so.

I'll swap it out tonight and report after the trip to work tomorrow. If it cures it, I'll cut mine up and see if I can figure out if I can fix mine. If that doesn't work, I'll buy one and then send this one back to you. Thanks for the loaner!

thats cool, i just dont wanna cut my old one up since it works 99.999999% of the time and even when it did cut out it was only for a second.

One second is better than surging back and forth all the way up a hill like you are spurring a donkey pulling a sled full of coffee beans. :bang

I think I can cure the pedal changing from 19% to 17% throttle back and forth during constant pressure with the APPS that I have to put on it if I ever get the time. I have not found a cure for the enormous surging in cold weather. I have fought it for two years now and it always gets hot again before I find an answer. You have any insight????

I don't have a solution to your problem, but I can shed some light on what's going on.

When the temperature from the IAT sensor reads below a certain point (around 60*-70*), and the engine is operating in the middle part of it's load range, the ECM will advance the timing up to 5 degrees. Combined with the added timing of the Edge box, this can cause the surging problem, which will be worse with larger injectors. Although I have heard of it happening on a stock truck with just the Edge module too.

The best solution to this problem is the resistor/potentiometer circuits that others have come up with to 'fool' the ECM into thinking the intake air is hotter than it really is.

The proper solution would be to have Edge make the box add less timing, or find a way to reprogram the ECM timing.

Just my theory, based on reading threads from 4 different boards, and 10 months of ECM hacking.

Jim

Then why the hell can't the Edge box be programmed to read the IAT data off the CAN and adjust timing accordingly during the cold days?

I've had this problem also. It's only when I use edge products. The tst box I have works perfectly.

Then why the hell can't the Edge box be programmed to read the IAT data off the CAN and adjust timing accordingly during the cold days?

Perhaps it doesn't have enough microprocessor or memory to do so. I've never seen what's inside one.

Perhaps it doesn't have enough microprocessor or memory to do so. I've never seen what's inside one.

Perhaps with the abundance of folks with this issue they should change FPGA's or controller and add some memory! :D If they could pull the outside air temp off the console above from the other bus and compare it to the AIT data from the Cummins Bus seems like some code could be derived to cure the problems. It would only derate the output power during the cold season with lowered timing...who cares, at least it would run right. I guess we can only wish. I can go back through threads and emials and provide them with at least a dozen trucks that surge in the cold. I can live with it until I strap on a heavy trailer.

Back