Fueling/Timing Boxes

I really didnt notice that it was sluggish per se, but adding the timing box made a very noticeable diffrence on the bottom end.

The TST is very aggressive down low by itself , for timing i would get a cheap used VA or so for now to c if u like it . After installing the 6.5s low end really improved !!! so i sold my smarty and it runs better on the top ,buddy of mine lost 2lbs by stacking a smarty with the redline

The TST comp on the higher levels is very responsive, but it is almost to touchy for daily driving on any setting above 5.

The VA will keep the bottom end there, but will make it very drivable.

How can a fueling box make things touchy? I have M6s and when I turn the Comp off, the truck is pretty sluggish. I think timing is what is giving them that responsiveness down low right.

Opposite.

Timing is upper RPMS, fueling is down low torque. If you have no timing, your low end will be better but you will run out of steam on the upper.

Its very similar curve to increasing timing in a gas engine.

If the M6s feel sluggish when the box is off, then they probably arn't getting the fuel they need (especially to light the turbo).

The cool thing about the FMS box is that it shows WHEN it is adding fuel. Its amazing how soon it starts to add fuel over stock.. And how much more fuel you get.

Get the fueling box you want now. Try a stack in the future when you find someone that has what you are considering, and see how you like it. From what I have read, I would choose:

FMS
TST Comp
Edge Comp

In that order.

RacinDuallie said:
How do these compare with a Redline/Edge stack?

I have ran this and its ok but its still a timing box i c no difference from the others... I'v ran VA, Power pucks, used a hot juice for just timing , one is good as the other

Try a JVD box for fuel heard there HOT if u can get one now

Are you sure?? Using your analogy of a gas engine, if you had retarded ignition timing but a ton of fuel, it would still be a dog. Gas engines of course have an ignition curve that cause ignition to begin earlier, the faster the motor is spinning, due to there being less time to combust the mixture since the piston is travelling at a faster rate. Do diesels also advance the injection curve based on RPM? If so, would a timing box only advance in the upper RPM ranges or do it across the board as I suspect? I need to ponder this I guess but I would not think a timing box would only increase timing and responsiveness on top end. Where am I missing the boat? I think more timing is what makes the go pedal more "touchy". I could be wrong...

What's a JVD box?

Last edited:
Something haisly used to sell (fuel box) to bad the timing is limted by the pump and ECM ,,, scheid tried different keys on the pump to advance but the pump would counter act and but it back to were it was , need a DFI system for the dodges complete control of ecm timing curves and fuel weres john meaney at

A VP44 has dynamic timing, a VA or Edge will increase timing across the entire RPM range. Moderate timing will enhance low rpm power, but hugely advanced timing 20*+ will hurt low end power, but help on the top end.

A fueling box is jumpy when the box adds a ton of fuel with any pedal input. Slight pedal alterations will add stock fueling, plus the 65% over fueling the box adds.

Diesels do advance the timing (electronically controlled at least) like the gas engines. The VP trucks take several factors including load and RPM to adjust the timing. One of the major advantages of the Smarty is its incredibly static timing.. Like the guy that makes it or not, he has a heck of a good system there. The smarty timing is the best in the business.

You can't compared an over-fueled gasoline engine in the same way. Remember, the gas engine is throttled by air, and the diesel is throttled by fuel. In your analogy, the gas engine is a dog because it doesn't have enough air (too much fuel). If you evened out the mixture, the engine would run perfect through the RPMs as you advanced the timing.

I had a person much smarter on the subject then I explain it out.. I will have to see if I can find that conversation. The only other question I had was in regards to EGTs.. I made the assumption that more timing would lower EGTs. My though process was that since the engine is spinning too fast to keep the flame in the chamber for the entire time, it is still popping when the exhaust valve opens and some of that flame gets out through the head. I don't know if that is just a wild theory or if it makes a lick of sense, but it works out in my head.

:Cheer: Neither did I, which is why I put it out there as a theory!

:Cheer:

Attachments

• The_More_You_Know-775718.jpg
    The_More_You_Know-775718.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 9
Still pondering this but one thing that occurs to me is that ignition timing on a car is not exactly the same thing as injection timing on a diesel. Diesel will ignited at a certain pressure and it does not seem that injecting the fuel sooner or later would have much effect on when ignition begins. Gas engines advance ignition timing to begin the combustion sooner but how would an advanced diesel fuel injection event cause cylinder pressure and combustion to begin earlier?

Duke.

Call Robert @ Elite Diesel. I bet he could help ya out.:poke: LOL

PTSUPERD said:
Duke.

Call Robert @ Elite Diesel. I bet he could help ya out.:poke: LOL

:hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe:
Dude, that is one of the funniest posts I have seen in a while LOL

Oh I know Isaac, I just like talking this stuff to see how people arrive at some of these conclusions lol. Besides that, we both know that when the Czar speaks, you can be sure it works and you know what I mean lol.

I did call Elite and ask them if they would like me to beat all their Fords by a little or by a lot? I can't really remember their exact response but I know it included a bunch of %#!^$! before I got the dial tone lol.

Right, the higher cetane rating, the lower the pressure it will ignite. So that said, what is being accomplished with timing boxes? The fuel will ignite at a certain pressure regardless of when it's injected. Is there sufficient pressure existing in the combustion chamber to ignite fuel before stock timing injection events occur? Once can see the advantages of having multiple injection events per combustion cycle...

All these expectations with a 64mm S300?
...and copious amounts of giggle gas. It just don't take that much lol.

Back