G56 Rattle with DD Clutch

Tate

What?
I did a G56/271 swap into my 12v last week. Everything drives fine, but I have a weird rattle when I shut down the truck. It only does it when its in neutral with the clutch engaged. If I shut it down with the clutch disengaged in neutral or in gear, it doesn't make the noise. I haven't done a double check on all the bolts being tight since I put it on the road, but I was diligent on the install in that respect, and the clutch pedal being pressed making it go away leads me away from that being an issue anyway. I'm running a SBC 3250 sprung hub, flywheel and pressure plate torqued to spec, washer removed from pivot ball, etc., etc. Running 6.5 litres of ATF in it.

On a side note, the new clutch is remarkably quiet. No more of the 'bad throwout bearing' noise when the clutch is disengaged like my last two DD's.

I think that you are alright. My SBC 3250DD in the 5500 has always made some interesting noises. Sounds like a rig at idle half the time and gets throwout bearing noise from time to time. It has really quieted down since towing heavy for a few thousand miles. I think the G56 is just a noisy SOB. I have a 12v with a single disc and a g56 which makes some noise also.

My 2010 dodge with the 6 speed makes all kinds of noise when in the situation that you described above, shutting down.

the G56 is aluminum and notorious for gear rollover and all sorts of strange noise once you get rid of the dual mass flywheel.

Excellent, then I'll pay no more attention to it. Thanks guys.

I'm no help but I have been dreaming about doing the same swap. How do you like the G56/271? How did the install go? :pop:

... How did the install go? :pop:

I can comment on that part of it since we did it in my garage. Install was really quite straight forward. Needed new drive shafts and to modify the cross member, other then that it was no different then just doing a clutch swap. The swap uses the G56 clutch.

We dropped the transmission the first evening. Installed it the second, as well as built the crossmember, and put the T-case on. Waited an extra day for drive shafts and that was that. I would say 10-12hrs at a relaxed pace. All hand tools.

X4........ why a G-56?? ive broke several

This is a mild truck, so not concerned about wrecking the tranny. Might be at 600hp once the twins go on. I don't bag on this truck much, daily driver. Got the tranny/t-case for a good price last year, and wanted the novelty of a six speed. I really have no other justification for it. I'm gonna hang onto the 4500/241 and shafts for length of time just in case something decides to split, can swap it back in a day if needed.

As far as the swap is concerned, pretty straight forward. G56 clutch, stock engine adapter, reg hydraulics, had to modify the cross member to drop it 5/8" in the rear and slot the holes, and extend the shift rod about 4" for the t-case. The rubber isolater from the 4500 bolts to the G56, so I used that. I heard I had to cut the lifting lug off the front of the tranny and I did, but looking at it from above, there is lots of room for it. It might have been required for install for clearances reasons, though. Like Brett said, it was over a course of a week at a real relaxed pace. I wasn't gonna get in a panic, as I had to wait for 2 days to get my spare drive shafts modified anyway. I like the gear splits in it, but I'm still used to the 5 spd, so I'm still getting used to it.

I put a g56 in my 12v in 05 and havent had a single issue.Probably put close to 100k on it with alot of heavy towing. I had a 2" body lift on my truck and a crossmember out of a 01 so i didn't have to modify anything except drive shafts. I also put the 98-02 floor console and 4x4 shifter in it. I like it alot better than the 94-97 one. I used my 241 tcase

Good deal. Thanks guys, that was helpful :thankyou2: I've done a little reading about it on TDR but it's always good to have more opinions. I'll have to keep my eyes open for a 56 and 271

Just curious how you did your shifter. When I did mine 2 years ago I used the stock G56 shifter flipped upside down with some mild torch work. Looks a little funny but works good. It has been a great swap for the last 2 years. Did mine because it was clutch time and the 5spd started to make some interesting screeching sounds under acceleration. Never liked the 5600.

Back