g56 reverse

HOTTAPPER1

what you looking at!!
The last few days i have been having hell getting my truck in to reverse.I have had this clutch for about two years.Anybody else

not had the problem but it sounds like either the hydros are going out or the syncro is going bad.

not had the problem but it sounds like either the hydros are going out or the syncro is going bad.
I been out there messing with it. And when i pull out of second gear and put it in reverse real fast it just falls in gear real easy..

Last edited:
i thought my was hard to get since the day i bought it. what i normally do is let go to neutral and give a little smack drops right in. then some times it just drops right in. just installed sbc 3600 12 button with the hrydo update and nothing has changed.

i know at least the 2006 trucks with a g56 had a tsb for reverse "pop out" tsb 21-006-06 if i recall correctly, it replaces the rev. synchro, it might help with the engagement, but dont know for sure.

i thought my was hard to get since the day i bought it. what i normally do is let go to neutral and give a little smack drops right in. then some times it just drops right in. just installed sbc 3600 12 button with the hrydo update and nothing has changed.

Mine too. Trying to shift into reverse sucks. Clutch peddle to the floor, and I have to pull hard into gear.. Ill have to look into that tsb.

I can't get mine in gear at all with out going to second first.It just started this after a 3rd gear launch

Mines done it since day 1 with 10 miles on it. Nothing changed with the SB 3600 with hydro upgrade either.

Sounds like ford. ZFs gotta putt it in a foward gear to get it in reverse that's typical fords ZFs

I must have one of the wednesday built g56's. Mine shifts like a dream and goes into reverse with having to put it into a forward gear first.

mines always been that way. i shift to 3rd and then goes right in to rev

be careful forcing anything into gear on these. i broke the shift tower on mine the other night just downshifting to 5th. before i knew it my whole shifter and part of the tower were in my hands, and i believe i said WTF! lol

Repeatedly forcing the G56 into reverse can cause the weld between the reverse shift rail and the reverse shift fork to fail, which causes loss of reverse in the transmission - forward gears are usually unaffected.

We just TIG-weld the parts back together after cracking the G56's case and pulling the guts out.

There's no tower, but you access the shifter base through the console.

i had the same problem with mine but i have the NV5600. i went ahead and did a full rebuild just cause i had the exta cash to do it but im 99.99% sure its going t be you reverse gear teeth and syncro. It usualy rounds off the teeth where the syncros ride so i would go ahead with a reverse gear and slider along with a basic rebuild kit to be safe cause you can bet if that one is worn then others are too.

I can't get mine in gear at all with out going to second first.It just started this after a 3rd gear launch

Awwwww man! Billy what did you do?:hehe:

I have a buddy that installed an OFE and it did that ever since, but never heard of it after a hard launch. I can ask Larry tomorrow, see what he says.

Awwwww man! Billy what did you do?:hehe:

I have a buddy that installed an OFE and it did that ever since, but never heard of it after a hard launch. I can ask Larry tomorrow, see what he says.
I broke a finger off the pressure plate.Sent it back to southbend had my clutch rebulit and got a diaphram style plate its real nice now...

Repeatedly forcing the G56 into reverse can cause the weld between the reverse shift rail and the reverse shift fork to fail, which causes loss of reverse in the transmission - forward gears are usually unaffected.

We just TIG-weld the parts back together after cracking the G56's case and pulling the guts out.
I think i know someone this has happened to :hehe: but you got it fixed up :Cheer:

Back