g56 towing do's & don'ts ?

smoked-out

Picking up an 08 with g56 and hs this week. Planning on pulling 20' stock trailer and lq horse trailer that weighs around 32000#. What should I know or do to it before hooking to them? Any weak links? Plan to tow on lowest setting with stock clutch. Any upgrades ill need to keep it together? Thanks!

My Dad tows a 16', 28' enclosed and a 40' toy hauler regularly. The transmission hasn't had any issues. But the stock clutch didn't last long at all. We replaced/upgraded the hydraulics at the same time.

Stock clutch and tunes will be the weak link. That's all I have to put in.

Whats the weight on those? The stock trailer doesnt worry me but the lq trailer does. Its all a 3500 dmax/allison wants and then some. Just dont want to bust teeth or a case.

The 28 is 14k. The 40 is 18k. The most he has had behind it was a 34' 5th wheel that was 21k. A bit shy of what you're going for, but no issues from what's been behind it so far. This was with a SMARTY on 3.

Thanks man! I plan on a clutch upgrade eventually but always had autos and was wondering the breaking points. Just wanting a tow rig these days. Getting old I guess.lol

Thanks man! I plan on a clutch upgrade eventually but always had autos and was wondering the breaking points. Just wanting a tow rig these days. Getting old I guess.lol

I tend look ahead. You know you will need to ditch the stock clutch, or at least you do now. Replace it before it leaves you stranded on the side of the road with a load of horses and a truck full of wife and kids. $.02

If you are towing above #30K, might I also recommend putting free-spin hubs on the front (assuming you have a 4x4.) Lock them out and use 4lo to maneuver in tight quarters and while backing up. It will take a chit-ton of stress off your clutch regardless if you have a stock one or upgrade. When you upgrade the clutch, it will most likely make slow backing jumpy (at least it was in my CON OFE South Bend.) 2wd low is so worth having. It's on my list to do someday with this '09.

I know you are only asking about your trans, but I will give you my recommendations for a total tow rig, and what I have done to mine so I have first hand real world experience.

Clutch, I recommend something around 3250 DD quiet, from either manufacturer, and do hydraulics at the same time.

Tuning, get rid of the EGR/DPF crap and get it tuned and woken up, you don't want a dog trying to pull a hill if you are in the 30k range.

Air, you are going to need more than stock, or want it at least once you pull a grade and watch your EGT's. I did a S366 over a S475 on mine, drive pressure is less than 1:1, which is great. (I also have a hammilton 188/220 cam in mine)

Studs, with that much cylinder pressure with tuning and more air you are going to need them, get them done before you have a blown gasket. The stock MLS gasket will hold fine, just stud it before it blows from the stock bolts stretching.

This is in my 06 with a 6.7 long block and 5.9 electronics, so it is a little different than your 08, but the same still holds true.

Jory is right, having 2 low for backing would be great, I fairly regularly put mine in 4 low to back up a trailer, no matter how good you are it will start jumping on you if not.

I HATE JUMPING! And with a 2x4 no choice of 4 lo! Everything above is spot on!

With a 2x4....I wonder how hard it would be to install a xfer and shorten the rear drive shaft just for 2wd low purposes? Salvage t-case and salvage frame pieces. Welder. ??

Back