Garage apartment

Fireman450

Daring to be diffrent!!
Here in the near future looking to start building a house and a shop. My current Idea is to build a 40'x60'x16' and in one end fix a 20'x40' one bedroom apt over the shop floor, to still have full use of shop floor space.
And stay there while Im building the house. Anybody else done this? Im just makin sure i catch all the angles ans dont over look anything major.

Doing it this way ill have a 40x40 bay area and under the apt ill be able to put my machining equipment and what not.
I figure my biggest expense would be concrete and septic. Also thought about using z-lock panels but havnt really looked into that yet.

Opinions???

Thanks

That's my dream house.

LOL aim a little higher.

4x4Dually has a pretty sweet setup. We have toyed with something similar.
20x40 wouldn't do it though. LOL.

I was thinking of a 40x40 overhead, with a 24x40 garage beneath, 16x30ish lower living area(tv room etc)(have an 10ish foot wide connector between garage and barn) then a 40x40 barn. Total building would be 40x80.

I plan on building something similar. Except do a full basement under the living quarters in the rear and just a slab for the garage section. This way you double your living area without taking up any more room.

from phone

LOL aim a little higher.

Hey I don't need anything big and fancy just to say I have something big and fancy. As long as i've got a shop big enough to store all my toys and it doubles as a nice house inside i'm happy.

Dennis has the ideal set up at the farm.:bow:

Lynn, my buddy auctually has a set up just like this and its freakn sweet!!!!!

Not sure on measurements of the entire building, I want to say 40x80, but it does have a 2 bay shop on one side with an apartment on the othe side up top (Bedroom and kitchen) then under it he has a living room/badthroom. Both are open to the shop. Not much to look at on the outside other than some cool old gas station signs hung on the side. Inside has 2 big bays and one has a 4 post lift.

Best part is, he keeps it clean enough it looks like he has his cars parked inside a house when everyone is over and there is plenty of room for whatever he wants to do and it cost him less than 6 figures to build and furnish everything!

I think it would be a cool set up to live in for a while. Just need the property to put it on!

Last edited:
Subscribed. When I win the lottery I will be doing this at the house.

Check out google sketch up. Pretty neat tool an it's free.

LOL aim a little higher.

4x4Dually has a pretty sweet setup. We have toyed with something similar.
20x40 wouldn't do it though. LOL.

I was thinking of a 40x40 overhead, with a 24x40 garage beneath, 16x30ish lower living area(tv room etc)(have an 10ish foot wide connector between garage and barn) then a 40x40 barn. Total building would be 40x80.

Well right now 800sqft would do for just me.. lol Im a litle guy and dont take up that much space anyways... Unlike Mr Faker here VVVV... LOL

Lynn, my buddy auctually has a set up just like this and its freakn sweet!!!!!

Not sure on measurements of the entire building, I want to say 40x80, but it does have a 2 bay shop on one side with an apartment on the othe side up top (Bedroom and kitchen) then under it he has a living room/badthroom. Both are open to the shop. Not much to look at on the outside other than some cool old gas station signs hung on the side. Inside has 2 big bays and one has a 4 post lift.

Best part is, he keeps it clean enough it looks like he has his cars parked inside a house when everyone is over and there is plenty of room for whatever he wants to do and it cost him less than 6 figures to build and furnish everything!

I think it would be a cool set up to live in for a while. Just need the property to put it on!

Id like to see some pics too. Im just looking to have something short term till i can get a few things in order to get the house im planning, out of my head an into reality..

wanting to do the same thing. only problem im having is convincing the girlfriend to let me build it with metal on the outside. she wants wood instead of metal.

only thing ill have to figure on is some form to catch all the exhaust from my truck an pipe it outside as not to try and kill everyone there... shouldnt be too hard to do tho. And also with me doing it upstairs ill cut a little cost by not having to have all my plumbing roughed into the slab.

I have wanted something like this since I was in high school. One day it will become a reality, and then if I find an ol' lady and she wants a house I have a place to rent out as an apartment, or it can be my doghouse.

only thing ill have to figure on is some form to catch all the exhaust from my truck an pipe it outside as not to try and kill everyone there... shouldnt be too hard to do tho. And also with me doing it upstairs ill cut a little cost by not having to have all my plumbing roughed into the slab.

Use a ventilation fan and pull the exhaust out.

I will try and get some pics on here, I have a 40x80 16' side walls that is my shop, home and office. The 2 thing I would suggest is in floor heat and still run HVAC in the house with a good air filtration system the floor heat dries everything out and dust is a problem. Also make sure zoning in your area will allow this before you get to far. I have pics on my phone but I still haven't figured out how to make them small enough to upload. PM me your e-mail and I can send them to you if you want.

I'm also thinking bout building something similar my be a 40x60 shop over head doors on each end two post lift in middle. Then down side build my living quarters (not decided on dimensions) one bed maybe 2, living area/kitchen, bathroom. Finish it out like a house on the front with a porch and windows and such. If me and my dad buy the farm across the road I'd like to build it next couple years

Any one know of a good place to buy a pole barn kit from?? Ive been calling around a few places in the ky, tn area. Just wanted to check and see who yall have delt with. Id be able to do the apt myself.. would like to have the shop as close to turn key as i can get it.

When I was looking at this very strongly a few years ago I was looking at steel buildings, there are several companies on the east coast that I looked at, can't remember their names now, but do a quick search on e-bay and you will find several, and you can get as turnkey as you want with them. Morton is a good company around my parents in central Illinois also if you want a wood pole barn.

Back