Garret GTP-38r

csipsd

Mater, like Towmater
OK Guys... You all know my feelings on the Garret turbo, and after thinking more and more about it I figured I would make one long post about it and let it be.

I bought a Garret GTP-38r about 16 months ago, took about 2 months to have the time to install it. We installed it at the Tech day at my house, a few of you where there. From about day two I knotice surge, and about week two I saw blue smoke... WTF?

So I start asking around about what kind of warranty this turbo has... Many of you know the LACK of warranty this thing has, if it blows up, you have to send it to Garret, wait for them to "look" at it, and maybe, just maybe they will fix it.

Well, after I had a TN unit (thank you to Brian at Black Widow Diesel!:thankyou2: ) to run while Garret "looked" at my turbo, about three months later I got a New Garret which I was told had some "extra" porting done to it. It still surged, and leaked oil... Then I got another one... and it was better on the surging, but still leaked past the compressor O rings... So I was told they were working on another one... for months... Been over 6 months now, so I gave up...

FYI I was told to keep quiet about my issues if I wanted any help from Garret:banned: ... Well I figured, if they are not going to help me then why should I allow others to make the same mistake I did???

So those of you that dismiss my Garret issues as ramblings of a idiot:what: should really relize the headache I went thru trying to get a working $1600 turbo.

Am a a little jaded? Hell yes! Would you be?*bdh*

Sorry to hear about your troubles, hopefully they will fix you up soon

They wont... so on to the better turbo, Turbonetics!

It is so fuuny that there are alot of happy people with the Garrett yet also ALOT of unhappy people with the same turbo.

Yet I can't think of anyone that is not happy with the Turbonetics- some may say it spools alittle slow yet there are 2 options when ordering to not have any spooling problems.
Never have I heard of any surging as well.

PLUS you get a real warranty and you also get to deal with BRIAN:thankyou2: :clap:

Joel

I had a TN turbo I did not like it I got a TN first tryed the 1.0 then the .84 My stock turbo with a 1.0 and ww lowered egt's more than the tn did. Maybe I got a junker. all I know it the BB has lowered my egt's more and I have no surge and I pull big loads every day with my truck.

Nick

I Have Had A Garret Gtp38r For 3 Years Now And Love It, Never Had A Problem Yet Knock On Wood

Dont throw injectors in there because Garret does not recomend the GTP-38r and injectors... 3 years huh... about the end of its life... now take it somewhere and try to get it rebuilt.... Not going to happen...

csipsd said:
Dont throw injectors in there because Garret does not recomend the GTP-38r and injectors... 3 years huh... about the end of its life... now take it somewhere and try to get it rebuilt.... Not going to happen...
Do you have any Idea how many MM/GTP38R trucks are out there running with no problems.

When I Build My Engine, I Will Be Getting Rid Of It, Going To A Compound Turbo Set Up

I Took It Off About A Month Ago Just To Check It Out, And Everything Looked Good , Vains Looked Good, No Endplay, Bearings Look Good , All In All I Realy Like It, 3 Years Ago There Was Not Neer The Choices For 7.3 Turbos As There Is Now.
I Also Have 3 Of My Friends Trucks That I Installed Them On, And They Are Running Good, And They Have Injectors For The Last 2 Years In There Truck

Powerstroke Racer said:
Do you have any Idea how many MM/GTP38R trucks are out there running with no problems.

Sure do... but if you have surge then garret will just tell you "we dont recomend the GTP-38r with injectors" and you are SOL...

How long did I wait for one that didnt surge and leak oil David?

Come on David... How long did I wait...2...3...4...5... months...

if anyone is interested, im selling my bb turbo w/turbonetics delete housing on it. also a set of headers. about 1500 to 1600 miles on it. let me know. got other stuff for sale too but since we are talking about the gtp38r, figured ied throw it out there.

csipsd said:

So when I go with Injectors, I'll have to get a real turbo & pass this one over to the wife's X?

I was thinking H2E, but TN is sounding good.

I was thinking this Garrett was good, but not the case huh?

Dennis

Snowman269 said:
So when I go with Injectors, I'll have to get a real turbo & pass this one over to the wife's X?

I was thinking H2E, but TN is sounding good.

I was thinking this Garrett was good, but not the case huh?

Dennis

How big of injs are you gonna do? The bb is just fine for up to Stage 2 injs, it will also do Stage 3's but its life may be shorter with 3's. If you go Stage 3's and up then look at a Modified H2E setup.

bdp said:
How big of injs are you gonna do? The bb is just fine for up to Stage 2 injs, it will also do Stage 3's but its life may be shorter with 3's. If you go Stage 3's and up then look at a Modified H2E setup.

That's a discussion I actually intended to to call YOU on, once I was closer to buying. I have been looking at Stage 2's Singles.

I have PMR's and will be pulling the motor, installing Forged & swapping Injs at the same time. If it's recommended to go H2E, I'll do it at that time, easier install at that time IMO.

That's why I was asking about the 38r vs. the H2E, because that will require more money. I'm starting a business & am now using my trucks for business too & I can't continue modding and have bigtime issues with a turbo & then have to buy another. I just have to plan it out.

My sled pulling is occasional, drag raced a few times. I know if i do it more, I'll break more often, that's why I've negleted posting here at Competition Diesel.

I was thinking Stage 2 Singles would be great all around. Lot's of power & smoke when I want it. I was afraid Stage 3's would just be to much for the street & everyday pulling.

Stage 2's are definetly about the best all round street inj. You can run those perfectly fine with a bb turbo and be about 400hp at the wheels.

Back