Garrett Turbo on bus, need help ID-ing

OnVacation

Just found the local pick-a-part since my move and stopped by today to do a quick walk through. I only had a second with someone hovering around and didn't get as much info as I wanted, so I'm hoping for some help from the crowd:

I found a school bus with what was either a 2nd or third gen cummins under the hood with a garrett turbo.

Can anyone give me any clarity on this turbo? anyone know what size this turbo is, inducer, exducer, bearing type, A/R, etc.? anything would help.

I'm planning on going back on Friday to pull it and do a full inspection, but I'd really like to know better what I'm looking at. Honestly, I was expecting to find a holset under the hood, and that left me distracted enough to not get other details I should have...

Thanks

Apologies for my ignorance. When I got there to investigate further today, I found the bus hood down, and realized it was a dt466e under the hood. I still haven't figured out what turbo it is, but I got some more info if anyone has any help.

inducer diameter - 60mm
compressor A/R - .58
non wastegated
3.5" v-band turbine exducer (this did not have the 4-bolt garrett hook up, it was as-cast a v-band)

I'm working on the parts guy to give me a solid price on friday so I can go pull it off if anyone thinks its worth it.

Any opinions? feel free to move this post, or delete it if its no longer relevant to this section...

It sounds like a 3782. With a half or full marmon exhaust discharge.

I've heard two different stories with the marmon: one is that it can be converted to v-band with just machining off part of the flange, the other said you needed to cut it off completely and weld on a new flange altogether. whats the story? I don't want to get the turbo for a steal, then spend hundreds of dollars in machining to make it work...

You can buy marmon flange adapters for around 25 bucks at any truck shop.

I've found the adapter, but the exhaust housing is long to begin with, and since this is going to be a twin setup, I'd like to keep it as compact as possible. I'd prefer to avoid adding yet another inch of length to the turbo. I'd rather have a shorter housing if at all possible...

anyone have any idea what the exhaust side of this thing is going to look like? wheel diamater and A/R? He wants 250 if I pull it myself, and I can keep the exhaust pipe and piping from the turbo to the intercooler, which would give me the bends I'd need to do the hot piping and cold piping.

Opinions?

Do it. Everyone could use another turbo and some pipe laying around. Sorry i couldnt be more help.

Numbers on the turbo would help.. There are s bunch of different options out there.

What opinions are you wanting? As far as dimensions go, pull it and measure. Maybe take a couple pictures and that might help someone identify it for you.

Back