gear change 3.55s to 4.88

jus checkin make sure im readin right....... i am gettin a 4.10 carrier for the rear and i'll be good???

already have the front welded up so i would rather not have to go through that again but not a really big deal if i had too..... but from wat i have read jus ring gear spacer for the front??

jus tryin to get my stuff together that im needed today gotta have the truck back goin next weekend wat im shootin for

i didnt have to use ring gear spacers for mine but i went from 3:55s to 4:10s in the front

In the rear the 4:10 carrier and you will be fine

ok front is took care of gear and spacer on the way.... back kinda wonderin on it..... i found another 3.54 carrier local i can get got 50 bucks open jus gonna weld it...... can i get a spacer for the back instead of spendin 4-500 for a new carrier cuz i haven't been able to find a used one....... since im gonna have to buy a new gear i hate to blow 300 if its not really needed on the carrier

They don't make a ring gear spacer for the D80. It is hub centered, and IIRC the spacer would push it out past the hub so you would be centering it on the bolts.

u take both of the factory shims/spacers and move both of them to one side then set it up like normal ,also they make a thick gear for the 3.54 carrier but I could only find a 4.10 Ring gear,

Last edited:
u take both of the factory shims/spacers and move both of them to one side then set it up like normal ,also they make a thick gear for the 3.54 carrier but I could only find a 4.10 Ring gear,

The case savers is what I assume your talking about.

well i know there the big thick shims on the side of the bearings :) I know its not the best but if yr in a pinch if setup wright its not bad ,finding a open 4.10 can b hard sometimes was for me, u can find the factory lockers in 4.10 series but welding those up are a pain I know guys who just led them and they work ok

Where did you find the thick 4.10 gear at? Also, If you use the thick gear do you still need to move the shims all to one side to? I am in the same boat and would rather not have to buy a new carrier if at all possible. Maybe I just need to quit procrastinating and call Randy's.

Back