Gelling/lift pump issue!!!!

turbom700

Ok I first thought my truck (12v in a excursion) was gelling on me its 9 degrees out here. Was able to limp it home the 30 miles.

Once I got home I hooked a fuel pressure gauge up to it and it had 10psi and would drop any time I gave it gas.

Drained and replace the fuel filter(fuel looked fine when I drained it) had a heck of a time getting the fuel filter to prime. Once primed and the truck running it would hold 15psi put would drop when ever the gas was giving.

I have a tork tek and when it warm out it would hold 30-35 psi just fine.

I have a 3/8 draw tube going to 2ft of 3/8 rubber line coming out of the tank, then running up front with 3/8 SS hard line then about another 2ft of 3/8 rubber line feeding the mechincal lift pump.

So what do you think is my lift pump getting warn out not want to suck the cold thick diesel?

Thanks
Mike

Pure Diesel wants 112 called my local cummins dealer and they want 98 heading over there tonight to pick it up. What is really strange is Napa and O' Rileys both want 145 for aftermarket crab.

Lets hope this fixes the issue.

Thanks much man
Mike

If it's still the factory style piston pump have you checked the pre screen? I think it's a 17mm from the bottom right in front of the lift pump itself. I've seen them get so clogged up they cause multiple drivability problems because even the people that change fuel filters regularly normally neglect to check those too or don't know they are there.

Delete the fuel heater if you still have it. One winter I had running issues and it ALL went away after I deleted it. Air leak through the connector's terminals. Thick fuel make air leaks much more prone on the suction side.

If it's still the factory style piston pump have you checked the pre screen? I think it's a 17mm from the bottom right in front of the lift pump itself. I've seen them get so clogged up they cause multiple drivability problems because even the people that change fuel filters regularly normally neglect to check those too or don't know they are there.

I have not, didnt even know there was one there. I'm going to take it apart tonight after I pick up the new lift pump. This is my family hauler so it wont hurt to replace the lift pump.

Delete the fuel heater if you still have it. One winter I had running issues and it ALL went away after I deleted it. Air leak through the connector's terminals. Thick fuel make air leaks much more prone on the suction side.

Not that I have it the elec. side hooked up yet but is the fuel heater important? It was something on my list of things to hook up but just never got around to it. If its not need then it will go in the trash can.

Think its a good thing I didnt drive it to work this morning -11 when I got here. Would have made for a wonderfull drive home tonight :doh:
Thanks
Mike

Well got the new cummins lift pump installed last night, also deleted the fuel heater like many suggested. Was outside all last night (was -5f this morning) and didnt have any issues. :rockwoot:

Being this is my family hauler I just didnt like the idea of not having some way to warm the fuel up if need be. I made this, this morning at work will install it tonight.

The Two brass fitting have coolant coming in and out of them. The one brass fitting on the side will be fuel in and the other end will screw onto the pump itself. I put a shut off for in the summer or if not need in the winter.

Figured cant hurt to have it.

IMG_4452_zps4c9cb404.jpg

the 90* elbow hose that goes from screen to lift pump tends to delaminate. i had a brand new cummins oem hose do it within 100 miles and switched to a big loop of 1/2" hose since its impossible to make that bend without kicking.

the fuel heaters always burn up and leak air at the pins, youll see the bubbled plastic around the terminals.

check the strainer for gel, and on your old lift pump, tear it down and see if the pump spring has snapped. mine behaved like you described with a broken spring.

shoot some lube at your shutdown solenoid pivot pin and make sure its not jamming up in the half off half on position. other than that, the intank screens are the only other issue ive run into.

the fuel heater came out nice but its not gonna do much for you unless your some ice road trucker. the injector leak line returns to the inlet side of the fuel system. that return fuel probably warms up before the coolant does.

the fuel heater came out nice but its not gonna do much for you unless your some ice road trucker. the injector leak line returns to the inlet side of the fuel system. that return fuel probably warms up before the coolant does.

Removed the POS factory heater and replaced the lift pump with a new one from cummins all is well now.

As for my heater, it was -15 this morning and the truck sat outside all night(plugged in).

I have a 30 mile drive to work and when I got to work I popped the hood and felt the fuel filter it was "warm" maybe 60-70 degrees. I would say it works just as it should.

Would the truck of gelled up this morning, more then likely not, but its cheap insurance and if it save me from gelling up once its worth the hr to fab and hr to install it.

Back