Generator life span?

RonA

Any ideas what kind of life span these Cummins/Onan 4bt powered generators have? 5k hours, 10K? Is Perkins or JD any better?

I have a Phaser gen set in my boat, which is a kubota engine. It's a 94 yr model and has just over 5000 hrs run time. Still kicking strong.

With good maintenance and regular exercise, the engine should outlast the hotend

Sent from my motorola one action using Tapatalk

Any ideas what kind of life span these Cummins/Onan 4bt powered generators have? 5k hours, 10K? Is Perkins or JD any better?

Minimum 15,000hrs for that engine. If you take care of it, the engine can outlast most every other part of the unit. Even a little 2.2L Perkins is good for 12-15k no problem.

We took an older 4bt unit out of service at work at 60k hours, the power head went bad. This was the last 4bt unit we had in the fleet, all of the others ended life at about the same service level and all were for the power unit going bad, none for the engine having a failure. They had your typical maintenance on them for a construction generator, we try to change fluids at 250 hours but they sometimes go longer than that, usually never more than 500 hours though.

I tried to buy the last one that they had, but it went to an auction house and someone paid 2500 for the unit, more than I was willing to pay for a 60k hour 4bt and bad power head.

Deere is no better per se, but when it needs a rebuild, just swap liners - much quicker and easier than boring the Cummins obviously.

Industrial Deere engines are a nightmare to get parts. They come from all over the world and you never know who was making the particular part you need until you check the mile long list of arrangement numbers on the valve cover. I don’t have any experience with their agricultural applications, but I’ll never own an industrial Deere that’s for sure.

Industrial Deere engines are a nightmare to get parts. They come from all over the world and you never know who was making the particular part you need until you check the mile long list of arrangement numbers on the valve cover. I don’t have any experience with their agricultural applications, but I’ll never own an industrial Deere that’s for sure.
Same experience we've had.

Sent from my motorola one action using Tapatalk

I'd probably be more worried about the generator than the engine. What brand is the generator? I am wondering how long they are good for.

I am looking for a ~12kw 1 phase 120/240v for my Kubota that currently has a 3 phase generator on it.

Back