Getting 15 inch wheels to clear the calipers

Zeppelin654

I'm wondering if a 15x12 bart racing wheel with 3.5 inches of backspacing AND a spacer will clear the calipers on a 2000 Dodge 2500? If so, what size spacer do you think is needed? 2", 3", 4" ? These will be going on a pulling truck and turning is not of the utmost priority. Thanks for your input.

Also, I plan on running a 33/13.5/15 tire with these. Would a 10 inch rim be better than a 12 inch wide rim?

Thanks a bunch fellas.

- Dev

What about grinding the caliper a bit, if its not going on the road I won't be a huge issue, just don't go crazy. We used to take 3/8 inch of chevy 60 calipers to clear.

I think I might try it then. With only 3.5 backspacing, if I even got like 2" spacers, I'd probably be outside the calipers almost anyway. Then grind a bit if necessary. Eh? Do you think a 12" wide rim would work well with a 13.5 wide tire? Even when deflated some? Thanks again

I recently saw a guy who had 15" wheels on his 2nd gen. They stuck out some and that might have been what allowed them to clear. He said he didn't do anything to get them to clear.

If its true, I recall hearing that the 2500's brakes up to 97 are smaller than the sec gen's from 97-02. Mine is a 2000. I know a 16 will fit without doing anything. I figured the 15's spaced out woul almost end up being outside of the calipers entirely....

If its true, I recall hearing that the 2500's brakes up to 97 are smaller than the sec gen's from 97-02. Mine is a 2000. I know a 16 will fit without doing anything. I figured the 15's spaced out woul almost end up being outside of the calipers entirely....

Actually the other way around. I tried to put 2001 wheels on a 1997 and they wouldn't fit, ran the 1997 wheels on my 2001 no issues

I think the newer ones the drums are wider, yet a smaller diameter. The older ones were narrower, but a larger diameter drum.

I see..... Thank you for clarifying. The outlook of getting them to fit, is getting better and better. I'd like to make the 15x12's to fit. I love the real wheels, but spending 3-350 per wheel compared to 70 kinda turns me away. Even adding the spacers into the price, I'm only up to 120/wheel with the 15's

If this is on a puller, pushing the wheels out can be real hard on parts, especially the steering.

It is going on a puller. How bad would it be on the axels and hubs? It'll be 2.6 this year, then pro stock after. I want to get the tires (front/back) in their "own" channel, which is why I wanted to offset the front. Maybe I'll try the 15x12 w/ 3.5" BS and it it doesn't fit, get spacers or grind the calipers. How "bad" of an idea do you think it is?

Well depending how quick it folds your steering up it could be very hard on axles. I wouldn't use spacers if at all possible.I think 3.5 backspacing should clear or be real close, but you should do something with your tie rod/ draglink to beef it up. The wheels sticking out increase the leverage on the steering knuckles a lot.

Well depending how quick it folds your steering up it could be very hard on axles. I wouldn't use spacers if at all possible.I think 3.5 backspacing should clear or be real close, but you should do something with your tie rod/ draglink to beef it up. The wheels sticking out increase the leverage on the steering knuckles a lot.

Folks are starting to see ball joint failures as well...

What are the big boy modified guys running to keep everything intact? They're on 16x14's or something like that with those dick cepek cut tires.... With no spacers I think I'll be ok. Heck. Maybe I'll die in my street truck b/c I'm runnin 20x14 w/ 4.5 BS....

Your street truck isn't hooked to a sled with 1200 lbs on the front diggin like hell. The big boys run rockwell or eaton fronts with solid or sleeved tie rods and full hydraulic steering.

A friend of mine ran 35x12.50.s on his 01 with 2.5 back spacing. They cleared an he ran them for a long time. They were my wheels and tires. The only wheels you can get with less than 3.5 b/s is real heels now They come 2 or 3. The bart wheel with 3.5 should clear with a 1 inch spacer.

As far as saying the wider will cause a problem. When you hook to the sled an the weight lifts the front of the truck. The weight is plant on the rear. I would be way more concerned about some of these duel wheel rear adapters I have seen used than making the front a little wider.

why not run a 16? i've thought about going 15" on my 98 but never had tried it.....i did however put some 16's on a 06 one time.

Back