Going into park problem tried everything!

crpower

So for past year or so I've had park issues. Sometimes it goes in sometimes not, Lavon looked at it for me put a used cable on it for me (that's all he had) that lasted about a week. So he said just get a new cable so I did. Now I can't get it adjusted for the life of me, I had it working for a month straight then bam it stopped working. I also threw a new park rod in it incase mine was bent that didn't help either. What's weird is today I figured I'd mess with it again, now when I put the trans in neural by the lever on the trans it takes all my might to turn the driveshaft..... I'm clueless sorry for the long post!

Cole

I would try to throw a new range sensor on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen the rooster comb get a burr on it not allowing the detent ball to come out smoothly. Also the detent ball/bore in the valve body can get wore out and the slack will cause it to be stuck on the rooster comb.

Be sure the cable is all the way in the mount I use a zip tie to keep it in place! Since they are on terminal back order fixing with a zip tie works also! Also if a slight tap on the mounting bracket would help move it into place 10lb hammer works for me :)

Be sure the shift lever on the trans is tight on the shaft. I've seen those get loose and start to round off and not shift as desired.

Is this a situation where the shift lever on the column goes to the park position, but the park rod is not completely engaged? Meaning you can roll the truck a few inched forward or back and it completely engages?

Is this a situation where the shift lever on the column goes to the park position, but the park rod is not completely engaged? Meaning you can roll the truck a few inched forward or back and it completely engages?

Yes sir!

Nature of the beast is my conclusion. My 05 does the same exact thing you just described. The remedy from Dodge is to reflash the ECM so that the horn sounds and headlights flash when the door is open, not in park or neutral, and foot is off the brake petal.

This was on the 04.5-05 trucks when they changed to the throttle valve motor mounted on the side of the transmission. In 06 they changed something (don't know what exactly) so the truck physically goes into park when you shift to park. (I drove one and felt the difference.)
I've always said I won't buy another 04.5-05 CR. The minor electrical/mechanical flaws are annoying.

Last edited:
Nature of the beast is my conclusion. My 05 does the same exact thing you just described. The remedy from Dodge is to reflash the ECM so that the horn sounds and headlights flash when the door is open, not in park or neutral, and foot is off the brake petal.

This was on the 04.5-05 trucks when they changed to the throttle valve motor mounted on the side of the transmission. In 06 they changed something (don't know what exactly) so the truck physically goes into park when you shift to park. (I drove one and felt the difference.)
I've always said I won't buy another 04.5-05 CR. The minor electrical/mechanical flaws are annoying.

So you were never able to fix your truck?

Every 47/48 transmission uses a physical park rod off of the shift linkage/valve body that goes to the OD housing to a parking paw that applies against the output shaft. Nothing electrical about except the dash indicator!

Could be a bad parking paw or bent/loose park rod.

So you were never able to fix your truck?

No. I'm living with it. Though the truck has been sitting for 16 months, it doesn't really bother my too much now.

Every 47/48 transmission uses a physical park rod off of the shift linkage/valve body that goes to the OD housing to a parking paw that applies against the output shaft. Nothing electrical about except the dash indicator!

Could be a bad parking paw or bent/loose park rod.

Agreed.
But something is physically different with the 04.5-05 trucks. 03-04.5 autos have the box mounted on the cylinder head in front of the intake horn with no issues. Does 06+ have a different cable from the column to the case maybe? I've driven all three, there's definitely a difference.

My truck does the same thing, I watch shifter when I put in park, if
it doesn't go, I move to drive and go back to park slowly.

I guess I may pull the OD unit and make sure pawl and spring are in working order, then I know for sure its not in the trans.

There's nothing different between a 04 and a 06 as far as gear selector.
I bet the lever that's mounted on the trans is loose on the shaft or the cable adjustment is off.

Last edited:
Hmmm that's odd I never really had any issues with mine besides when I pulled the trans was always able to adjust under the dash then it was fine. When I first got the truck it almost needed to creep a little in park to actually lock it in or you would have to push in on the gear selector.

Back