Good Idea/Bad Idea?

Red_Rattler

High Tech Redneck
While welding today and laying out my weight box in my head I will have my 2 AD2 165's mounted to the back side with a vertical fuel cell now. Anyways instead of having them run one into the other like I had them, what if I had one feed the stock port and the other feed the front port on the injection pump? Will it work or have cavitation issues? Will it back feed through the other or if one loses power will I stave the pump? Or am I way other thinking this and keep them one into the other?

I have two air dog 150's on my puller fed from a fuel cell like you are talking about. What I ended up doing was running one line from each pump into a H style header before the injector pump. Both pumps are set as close as I could get them psi wise and both run all the time.

If you wish to only run one through the pits and kick the second on before a pull all you will need is one check valve. I ran this set up all last year with no problems and fuel pressure was rock steady the entire time.

I would put in a check valve each, just in case they fluctuate pressures at all and do start backfeeding slightly.

What size injection pump and is this a dedicated puller?

What part of having TWO Airdogs (yes 2 in case you like numbers better) mount to the backside of the weight box makes you think it's not a dedicated puller????

What part of having TWO Airdogs (yes 2 in case you like numbers better) mount to the backside of the weight box makes you think it's not a dedicated puller????

lol I read right past the mounted on the weight box part. I was just going to make the suggestion of going with a mechanical pump from the get-go if it was a dedicated puller. It will be a cleaner install and cheaper in the long run if the two airdogs don't hold enough pressure.

I'd love to run a mech but with cash heading elsewhere I'm using them still since they work. Dave I think I can picture what you have going on. Wanna text me a pic though?

I'd love to run a mech but with cash heading elsewhere I'm using them still since they work. Dave I think I can picture what you have going on. Wanna text me a pic though?

sure I'll do that when I get home. It's not fancy in any way but works well

Just my $.02 $.02 but I have less into my mechanical pump setup than ONE airdog pump costs.....

Mechanical pump off ebay $200
front cover off compd $150
fuel pressure regulator off Jegs $150
3/8 socket welded to the front of my steering pump gear: $free (stole the socket from my dad LOL )

Just my $.02 $.02 but I have less into my mechanical pump setup than ONE airdog pump costs.....

Mechanical pump off ebay $200
front cover off compd $150
fuel pressure regulator off Jegs $150
3/8 socket welded to the front of my steering pump gear: $free (stole the socket from my dad LOL )

Nice! What brand/model pump did you find for $200?

Not sure the model but its a hilborn pump from an alky dragster. I figured if it was good for alky it would handle diesel. Usually holds around 60psi

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Not sure the model but its a hilborn pump from an alky dragster. I figured if it was good for alky it would handle diesel. Usually holds around 60psi

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Awesome, that is great pressure. could you take a picture of the setup or find the part # for me?

I have two air dog 150's on my puller fed from a fuel cell like you are talking about. What I ended up doing was running one line from each pump into a H style header before the injector pump. Both pumps are set as close as I could get them psi wise and both run all the time.

If you wish to only run one through the pits and kick the second on before a pull all you will need is one check valve. I ran this set up all last year with no problems and fuel pressure was rock steady the entire time.

That setup would be even better with the second pump on a 10psi boost switch so people like me wouldn't forget to turn it on.

Awesome, that is great pressure. could you take a picture of the setup or find the part # for me?

I will get you pics tomorrow. I think its the Hilborn -0 pump or something like that. My dad has the same one on his 392 Hemi powered front engine dragster.

Mines pretty good too and cost the same so I'm not going to reinvent the wheel at the moment.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 0
That setup would be even better with the second pump on a 10psi boost switch so people like me wouldn't forget to turn it on.

I have both pumps on the same switch so I can't forget to turn them on but that would also be a great idea as well.

With my current 13 mm fuel press is a rock solid 55 psi. even on a few passes with the fuel mistakenly set at the 700cc mark.

I have both pumps on the same switch so I can't forget to turn them on but that would also be a great idea as well.

With my current 13 mm fuel press is a rock solid 55 psi. even on a few passes with the fuel PURPOSELY set at the 700cc mark.

Fixed that for ya :poke:

They way they feed into one line now, whats to keep one from backfeeding into the other if the other pump dies? I say just put one to each port on the ppump, with check valves.

They way they feed into one line now, whats to keep one from backfeeding into the other if the other pump dies? I say just put one to each port on the ppump, with check valves.

nothing stops it from back feeding if one pump dies, unless you put check valves before the header . IMO you want header before the injector pump keeps both feeds equal length and also helps with pressure in balance.

nothing stops it from back feeding if one pump dies, unless you put check valves before the header . IMO you want header before the injector pump keeps both feeds equal length and also helps with pressure in balance.

Thats what I was asking him. He asked what would keep it from backfeeding if he ran to separate inlets at the ppump. I asked him what was to keep them from backfeeding in his current setup.

Sorry if I didn't make sense. I typed that at work.

Back