Good pull with a bad ending!

Sportster1208

I wasn't able to make this pull and had this video sent to me by a friend of mine and wow! What a bite! The sled got to hopping and the sled operator accidentally pulled his air shut off at full throttle! Way to stop it! The operator came down and apologized for what happened but he's out an expensive turbo and a air to water intercooler!

joe @tuckahoe 10-27-12 - YouTube

D58A4CA8-861F-4FF6-997E-B8A98C715BED-43323-00003B1D41C5F773.jpg

0DC23116-68C4-4FF8-B51D-971DA0AED1B8-43323-00003B1D3F08729D.jpg

That's bullchit I'd be pissed the sled was working as it should just had a bad setup... Not his fault to thrown the kill and phuck chit up

Thats how my luck would go too. Maybe he will luck into some good deals on parts when he goes to start rebuilding.

I feel bad for Joe he pissed a lot of people off getting that truck built and getting parts shipped from all over! Just started working the bugs out and blambooooooo!

I saw that on Facebook the other day(someone shared it). I know I would be pissed at the operator for him being an pansy and stopping me short. The operator should be paying for all of it or part of it in my opinion. That truck was running good though!!

I guess when you sign that paper saying you understand the risks and they aren't liable it all goes down the drains.

This is why I have always wondered if you could get a little tricky with it and use an air shutoff on the manifold (like a Chalwyn valve, post turbo) coupled with a smallish BOV that would vent the compressor side relatively gently when the whole thing got tripped.

There's a video out floating around somewhere of a pretty hot cummins on an engine dyno and during the run the air knife (pre turbo) accidentally falls shut and just blows everything to hell.

That blows, but unfortunately if the sled driver felt he could not control/stop the truck in a safe manner, he has every right to try and kill it (one reason pullers need to be on their toes and know when a run is going too good and also why they make you sign a waiver).

That said, did the air knife not function properly? Most I've seen when pulled shut it down fairly quick, but that truck continued to run (although poorly), or was it something else that allowed it to keep running (even if the turbo was sucking oil, with no air there should be no combustion)?

Last edited:
Wow that turbo us phucked! But it's not completely the sled operators fault I mean he was hauling the mail to say the least and he had to be close to the 300 ft mark so he probably should have let off a bit. Obvisouly something wasn't right. Bad deal though either way.

Most air shutoffs will not block 100 percent of the air.. Most just choke down enough to bring down to idle.. When mine is closed i have a hole the size of the cotter pin that holds it open all mine would do is idle...

That does suck tho...

Back