Good pull with a bad ending!

I was there it does suck he was hauling the mail one question why was their oil or fuel mixture blowing out the hood stack when it was idling in the pits before the pull

Well the flagman should have just flagged him to stop him. Then if he didn't stop pull the air shut off. Not just pull it first thing.

from phone

He said he was still under green and was never flagged to stop, the operator told him he accidentally pulled it. Was there another underlying problem before or during the pull, anything is possible. Joe will probably comment he's reasonably new on here, and Scott06 I've seen this thing run idling and it does have a heavy idle haze but I dont see it being any different then others. If he cares to tell who proffesionally built the engine that's up to him, he didn't cut corners when he put this thing together.

Im not saying he cut corners but i was at the scale when he teched he was saying something about oil/fuel coming out when it idled it was a mess on the window/hood. He had a really impressive run till the sled pulled the shutoff that sled has a hard time stopping the top trucks you its nothing to see a 400 foot run on that sled

Im not saying he cut corners but i was at the scale when he teched he was saying something about oil/fuel coming out when it idled it was a mess on the window/hood. He had a really impressive run till the sled pulled the shutoff that sled has a hard time stopping the top trucks you its nothing to see a 400 foot run on that sled

It might have had an underlying problem, Joe will have to answer that I'm not sure. I seen what you mean about them not getting stopped I seen a video of Freese and he had to be stopped. He'd have taken it home with him!

The resadue in tech is fuel...it was chilly out and the truck dispersece heat very well ( even with the fans off) so to idle for a while for engine temp to come up it over fuels ( big pump/big injectors/ tons of timeing) i shut the truck down a few times before tech witch did not help the over fuel at idle while cold issue.so when i throttle up to get to tech the un burnt fuel in the exhaust slowly blows out.(thats what was leaking from the stack at teck) not oil just fuel. The builder designer of this set up ran the almost identical setup for years in his own truck...it does not like being cold.(he ashured me it was ok and when the weather is warmer it will be much happyer)
The reson the truck stays idleing is because of a 3/8 hole in the air knife to alow some air for idle.(and was to hopefully alow enuff air to keep this from blowing the turbo)
Aftor the pull the truck pumped oil from the turbo(blown) into the intercooler(cracked from turbo pieces flying into it) oil leaked out
The original thout was the oil leaking from pressure when the airkill was pullerd,as i pulled off the track all oil pressure droped .thays when i found that the turbo was realy just pushing. Oil into the intercooler and the turbo was trashed.

The resadue in tech is fuel...it was chilly out and the truck dispersece heat very well ( even with the fans off) so to idle for a while for engine temp to come up it over fuels ( big pump/big injectors/ tons of timeing) i shut the truck down a few times before tech witch did not help the over fuel at idle while cold issue.so when i throttle up to get to tech the un burnt fuel in the exhaust slowly blows out.(thats what was leaking from the stack at teck) not oil just fuel. The builder designer of this set up ran the almost identical setup for years in his own truck...it does not like being cold.(he ashured me it was ok and when the weather is warmer it will be much happyer)
The reson the truck stays idleing is because of a 3/8 hole in the air knife to alow some air for idle.(and was to hopefully alow enuff air to keep this from blowing the turbo)
Aftor the pull the truck pumped oil from the turbo(blown) into the intercooler(cracked from turbo pieces flying into it) oil leaked out
The original thout was the oil leaking from pressure when the airkill was pullerd,as i pulled off the track all oil pressure droped .thays when i found that the turbo was realy just pushing. Oil into the intercooler and the turbo was trashed.

I guess with what you know now you probably should have had it pulled off, live in and learn brother! Either way bud hopefully no unseen damage.

Welcome to a hot 3.0 style truck. Especially a low compression motor you fill with ether to start. Even worse if it's cold.

Last edited:
... The reson the truck stays idleing is because of a 3/8 hole in the air knife to alow some air for idle.(and was to hopefully alow enuff air to keep this from blowing the turbo)

I have seen other guys do this (mostly because their release pin sticks through that hole), but I have to question: are air shutoffs with a hole really legit from a safety perspective?

And it didn't help the charger in this case, so....

Not trying to be judgemental or anything but it seems like a knife with a hole in it isn't going to totally kill the motor, which is kinda the point of having it in the first place. Or no?

Last edited:
I was told to put a hole in it to hopfully save the turbo if it ever ran off...it definetly shuts the air off to stop a run off from busting something...a 3/8 hole.isent enuff to do much more then idle(the video proves that) and if its dumping fuel from run off pump it would proly just flog out.and if it dident shut it down the fuel shut off valve would. I guess its all in how ya look at it.

And as for oil left on a race track...you pay them to have a safe properly kept and operated track,so if you hit the wall cause they screwed up then yes they should pay. If they told you ther was oil on it would you run that lane" no"
I pulled because he is not supposed to pull the air kill endless somethings wrong,if he would of said he was gona stop me in that manner if i went past 300feet i would not of pulled.
The flagman was still in front of me(green),and i wasn't out any further then the other 3 trucks before me.
My release pin is in a different smaller hole on the bottom to allow full open

Last edited:
Any reason for the guy to dislike you? It's crazy to think it was an accident. But I don't know what it is like so I have no dog in that fight.

I have seen other guys do this (mostly because their release pin sticks through that hole), but I have to question: are air shutoffs with a hole really legit from a safety perspective?

And it didn't help the charger in this case, so....

Not trying to be judgemental or anything but it seems like a knife with a hole in it isn't going to totally kill the motor, which is kinda the point of having it in the first place. Or no?

It doesn't need to shut the truck off completely. Just stop it from running away.

from phone

And they say restricter plates wont limit hp...

That really sucks! I would be livid, but maybe thats why I drag race instead of sled pull.

Back