got a ? about blow off valves on diesels

jaybuller

USCG MK
dont realy know a whole lot about the diferences in a blow off valve and a wastgate, i figure they do the same job but not sure. is there bov for dodge diesels? i mean say i bought a non wastegated turbo could i incorperate a bov into it like mabey mount one betweene the turbo mount and the exuast manifold to control the drive pressure from getting built up to high and keepin my headgaskets in place? Some insight from some one that knows would be nice! thank yall.
Jay

Turbo barking is caused when fueling stops suddenly, and exhaust manifold pressure drops, while there is still boost pressure in the intake manifold. This results in the pressure in the intake manifold leaving through the inlet side of the turbocharger; this makes a whoosh-whoosh-whoosh noise and is hard on the turbocharger.

The wastegate comes stock on most turbos and routes exhaust flow from the exhaust manifold to the exhaust pipe, bypassing the exhaust side of the turbo. Wastegates are used to relieve exhaust manifold pressure and limit the intake boost pressure, to prevent things from getting too hot.

A blow-off valve routes intake air from the intake manifold to atmosphere to prevent barking the turbocharger.

On Diesels, blow-off valves are something of a novelty and none too necessary. What you're suggesting between the exhaust manifold and turbo mount is an external wastegate and is very effective in limiting maximum boost and saving headgaskets.

ah thank you so much for the schooling! so what i want is an external wastgate, but where does the exaust go that gets "thrown out by the wastgate? is it plumbed back into the down pipe? or just let go into the engine bay? thanks

just depends how you want to do it. some run a pipe down below the truck. some plumb it into the down pipe.

i would say on a street driven truck plumb it into the downpipe so that way no soot is going into the engine bay and underneath the truck

Back