Got a core I might be able to fix easy?

Cozze44

Junkman
Just got a core 00 5.9L. I sold them a whole used engine and got a complete core in return. The only issue it has is a thrashed thrust bearing. The only reason they found out is because when they would throw in another crank sensor it would break it off after a minute or two of running. There customer was against rolling in a new bearing so they came to me. My question is, could I just roll a new thrust bearing in just as Jory was going to do on his 8.3L build? Its a really nice motor, and instead of parting it out i'd like to fix and sell whole.

I think it would be wise to pull the caps and make sure there is no rubbing on the journals and that the rods weren't touching on the sides of the throws. Give it a good inspection.

I've seen a 6.7 get new main bearings (because the thrust was gone) put in while the engine was in truck and it lasted a couple hundred miles at least. Guy sold it after that, so not sure exactly how long it lasted, could still be running like that.

I think it would be wise to pull the caps and make sure there is no rubbing on the journals and that the rods weren't touching on the sides of the throws. Give it a good inspection.

I'm gonna get the pan off and get a good look at everything. If there's no major scores in the crank I don't see why not.

I've seen a 6.7 get new main bearings (because the thrust was gone) put in while the engine was in truck and it lasted a couple hundred miles at least. Guy sold it after that, so not sure exactly how long it lasted, could still be running like that.

Haha, well if I feel really comfortable with the whole thing, i'm gonna try it. But I don't wanna stick some one with this motor on a maybe...

I'm gonna get the pan off and get a good look at everything. If there's no major scores in the crank I don't see why not...

Because I've torn a few apart that bounced the crank around like that and they tore up the thrust main on the crank and the rod bearings ate the fillets on the rod journals, not to mention the sides of the rod/caps themselves.

Bad thrusts can destroy manual transmissions, by tearing up the shims on NV4500s and Getrags, too. :doh:

WHY on earth Cummins put only HALF a thrust bearing in the 6Bs, I have NO clue.

Mark.

Because I've torn a few apart that bounced the crank around like that and they tore up the thrust main on the crank and the rod bearings ate the fillets on the rod journals, not to mention the sides of the rod/caps themselves.

Bad thrusts can destroy manual transmissions, by tearing up the shims on NV4500s and Getrags, too. :doh:

WHY on earth Cummins put only HALF a thrust bearing in the 6Bs, I have NO clue.

Mark.

I finally got thwe pan off it today, thrust is wiped out. The tone rings in destroyed and in a million pieces. I'm gonna pop the main caps off and a couple rod caps of to check condition. If the bearings appear to be in good condition, can a new tone ring be put on easily? I have no experience with the tone ring style engines 24v. It is a 53 block, however it is not cracked and in really nice shape for a dd.

Never mind! Just found chunks of piston skirt! Just gonna pop the head off and the rest to the pile!

Back