Got a few questions for my short block build

STROKETHISF350

Currently gathering parts for my build and need some insight on a few things, I'll start off With what I currently have done to the engine.
-100% over injectors
-dual fuelers
-188/220 cam
-103 valve springs
-twin turbos
-p&p head w/oversized high nicked valve seats and o rings
-arp 425s torqued to 145ft lbs
-efi live
My plan is to be right around 1000 hp and the truck is mostly a street toy and will be turned down most the time although I will run at the track every now and then . My plan for the bottom end is qsb marine Pistons and 12v rods which I have already bought. Also clevite h bearings and a balanced rotating assembly . Now for the questions...
-Can I have a local machine shop shot peene and polish the rods as its under 100$ vs at least 400 from a diesel shop ?
- do I need main studs or rod bolts ?
-should I use the clevite h bearings or is there a more suitable bearing for what I'm doing?
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clevite makes a "high performance" bearing that comes out of the box coated, you will just need to be sure you check your clearances and be sure you have enough bearing clearance in the journals, and yes I would most def. reccomend using both ARP rod bolts and main studs especially at that level, every little bit helps to prolong the life of the engine when it comes to making that much power

Clevite makes a "high performance" bearing that comes out of the box coated, you will just need to be sure you check your clearances and be sure you have enough bearing clearance in the journals, and yes I would most def. reccomend using both ARP rod bolts and main studs especially at that level, every little bit helps to prolong the life of the engine when it comes to making that much power

Thanks I'll look into the bearings, trying to do whatever it takes to make this thing stay reliable

Those are the H bearings that he's talking about, and I wouldn't use them in a c street truck. Standard clevite mains, and oem cummins bi metal rods. Drill and tap the block for 14mm main studs.

That's plenty cheap for a polish and peen job. Doing a good polish job will take about a hour in itself.

625 head studs would be a good plan.

Why would I not want to run the h bearings for the street? Also not sure I need 14mm main studs?

Take the extra time and get the crank balanced and polished along with your rods. If it were me I would spend the money on a good set of rod bolts and 12mm main studs.

I am getting the full rotating assembly balanced and plan on rod bolts also. I ended up getting the normal clevite rod and mains and does anyone else thing I should buy main studs

Why not..it's good insurance..I got my L-19 rod bolts,and arp mains for 400 shipped..pm me and I'll give you info on where I picked em up.

If your doing studs in either place make sure to get everything line honed and checked to make sure nothing is distorted with the extra clamping force..I'm as green as they come but just had everything done your planning on doing.

Last edited:
Why not..it's good insurance..I got my L-19 rod bolts,and arp mains for 400 shipped..pm me and I'll give you info on where I picked em up.

If your doing studs in either place make sure to get everything line honed and checked to make sure nothing is distorted with the extra clamping force..I'm as green as they come but just had everything done your planning on doing.

If I have it line honed am I going to need oversized bearings?

No..usually you get it honed after you put the fasteners in that your going to use though..the extra clamping force COULD change the geometry of the rods and mains..I would gwt,it,checked for roundness after you put whatever fasteners in your going to use..

Line honing it will just make sure everything straight..usually don't take off enough to need oversized anything..mine didn't anyways

Last edited:
Okay so I've been running a victor reinz 1.28mm head gasket with my o ringed head for a while now, I'm going with .020 over qsb 480 Pistons and I just order the upper gasket kit with the same 1.28mm gasket. Question is will that be okay with the over bore Pistons ?

Not much of an update but I did make some progress so far this week. Got the head off and cylinder 2 doesn't have and cracks or melted Pistons . Cylinder walls don't have any gouges either but the cross hatching isn't as distinct as it should be also the head looks fine so I would have to assume cracked rings bent rod or something I will update this weekend when I get the rest of it out
eae87bac2bb4a688ece7ff3943e5f15c.jpg
22a9744961011f5d0650ceccd1ebda1e.jpg

Back