Gov Spring Install- Need Help Truck Wont Start

I bet I know what happened. On the shaft that comes out that you take the bracket off of (the shaft just to the left of the Gov Spring Port), there is a woodruff key orienting the bracket. The woodruff key falls out sometimes and then you can put the bracket on and move it up, but it doesn't move that valve enough to give you rack travel/fuel.
Make sure even if you don't have your woodruff key anymore, that the bracket it lined up where it should be (which can be a ***** without the key).

One more thing, the gov springs will increase idle, and you'll back off the idle screw to get idle lower, which will make for a weak idle. You can loosed the gov springs a little to get a strong idle back but lose some top end fuel. This is also why Seth machines the lower pedestal (from my understanding), so that you can keep your top end fuel but have a strong idle still.

Good luck!
If you are talking about the shutdown arm. I left that in place and never slide it off the shaft. I removed the AfC to verify the shut down arm is allowing the rack to travel. Am I missing something additionally on the inside of the pump you're discussing?

The shut down stop bracket above the gov spring I removed that and did see the locating dowel for the one hole. I reinstalled that in the same hole.

Hmm, I am not sure then. You have fuel pressure and it's all primed?

And you're sure that you tightened the gov springs enough so that the nut on top didn't come off?

I have some woodruff keys specifically for that shaft from Cummins if you need.

Where'd you get them? I haven't found one that fits perfect since losing mine a while back.

And you're sure that you tightened the gov springs enough so that the nut on top didn't come off?

If you loosen them too much the nut will contact the governor housing before coming off.

Don't ask me how I know......

I didn't know this, but that's better than it falling down into the abyss as long as it doesn't damage anything... I'd think ;-)

Oh it will cause plenty of damage. We had a truck in the shop for a GSK install. The fellow installing them kept backing them off trying to adjust them. The last adjustment caused a terrible noise and upon inspection the upper retainer had hit the housing and bent the stud. Cost us a pump.

Oh it will cause plenty of damage. We had a truck in the shop for a GSK install. The fellow installing them kept backing them off trying to adjust them. The last adjustment caused a terrible noise and upon inspection the upper retainer had hit the housing and bent the stud. Cost us a pump.

Ouch. Yeah, that's no good.

Follow up. The truck was indeed out of time. Re-measured everything on a drop valve method. Came up with a new TDC mark. Reset the pump to 16 degrees BTDC and truck fired off.

Thank you everyone for all your input! Truck idles and carries as it should!!!

Back