Governor Spring question

drdiesel12v

Dr. Diesel Performance
I purchased CDS 5k GSK for my truck and installed them and they ran fine before. i now have a built dtt trans and i have to have the engine idle at 1100-1200 rpm and then put it in drive or reverse otherwise it will stall.

I set the springs just like the instructions said to, after the first click, do 5 more. i have not done a WOT run to see how they act but it is very annoying to have to two-foot it everywhere or when u know u r going to stop i have to put it in neutral so it doesn't stall.

also for it to start, i HAVE to give it fuel, otherwise it will sit and crank all day. which my 4k's did not.

Just wondering if i did something wrong on my install or if i have to change something else.

im going on an hour drive to the PA farm show tomorrow and want to make sure i did everything correctly

Thanks Guys
Cody

It's kind of a trial and error thing you need to try backing them off a click at a time and see how it reacts . It takes some time because you will need to adjust the idle each time to see if it resolves your issue . Good luck and if you do a search on here there is alot of info on the subject.

and they are in such a fun spot to get too haha. so i geuss they are a little too tight. i thought they would have been too loose geuss i was wrong. there is no such thing as too loose is there?

Back off 2 clicks per pack and adjust idle to 900 out of gear. Should be close enough. Keep in mind that some of the 5k spring kits i have installed the spring heights have been different and you might have to install shims or surface the the spring to compencate for the height diference.

Last edited:
mine work great at initial plus 2 clicks. on some cold mornings it still stalls until it gets some heat in the tranny. but it only started doing this when i put the tcs (Canada) stator in it.

and they are in such a fun spot to get too haha. so i geuss they are a little too tight. i thought they would have been too loose geuss i was wrong. there is no such thing as too loose is there?

Get a long flat head screwdriver, grind a notch in it for the flyweight stud, then you can adjust it though the top easily and quickly.

Well I took bponci's advice, backed off two clicks and it is perfect. No more stalling. Also thanks for the great tip about the screwdriver. Thanks to everyone who replied. It was greatly appreciated. Can't wait for the roads to get clearer to see how WOT is lol.

Thanks again

Back