Governor springs- how tight?

bateman

I’ve read to the ends of the internet and specifically threads from this forum. Just figured I would ask. Might get called dumb but that’s ok haha

Bought my truck with 4k governor springs installed. Don’t know the brand. Checked them yesterday and there was barely any stud protrusion and when I went a click tighter it was a very soft, faint click. Put another soft click and then it was a more firm and audible two clicks further. So I added 4 clicks to whatever it already had.

I’m just curious how tight is too tight? In my mind the tighter they are they harder they are going to fuel and the more rpm available. Any drawbacks besides idle? My idle is now adjusted around 1000rpm and it does take some pedal to start, but runs smooth and seems to deliver more fuel with less pedal travel.

Thanks. Good video.

I’ve read lots of opinions from the pros. Just wondering if my theory on tighter Means more fuel is correct or not. It ran fine with 4 less clicks in it and the idle was able to go lower but it also idles fine now. Just a bit stronger sounding at 1000rpm. More fuel down low it seems and quicker revving.

Any drawbacks to more clicks? Is there anything I can hurt?

Any drawbacks to more clicks? Is there anything I can hurt?

I personally can't stand an idle higher than 750-800, but that's my preference. I like to adjust the warm engine idle down until the mirrors seem to shake, and bring it up gradually until it smooths out, and I'd loose that adjustability with tighter springs.

If it ain't broke....

Thanks Jeff. Think I agree on the idle. At least that 1000 is too high. It was 750 in gear with AC on before. Now probably 850 in that scenario. Going to back it off 2 clicks right now.

Now set at initial click, plus 3 more clicks. Doesn’t seem as snappy but the idle is a lot more mellow now at around 850-900rpm.

I’ll see how it drives here in a minute.

Now set at initial click, plus 3 more clicks. Doesn’t seem as snappy but the idle is a lot more mellow now at around 850-900rpm.

I’ll see how it drives here in a minute.

Do you know what your injection timing is for sure ?

16-17° truck drives fine. Little less bottom end as I figured but smooth up to 2900-3000rpm where there is a bit of vibration. Maybe the racked barrels that were never benched?

Will free rev to 4k pretty easily. Have not spun it too high with a load yet. Gotta head to work.

Last edited:
I see jasonC lurking while I’m typing haha give me some feed back man I know a lot of y’all learned this stuff a long time ago. Just want to understand better.

If it was a stock pump, I would copy the stud protrusion as the stock set was at.

I've experimented with tightening them 1 click, and driving the truck a couple days to totally get the feel of it, then tighten one click, and done the same.

I always ran Haisley 5k's, and just set them where they had a strong Idle, and it really didn't seem to make much of a difference a couple clicks tighter.

Keep in mind, It doesn't matter if you have "6k" springs in the pump, it's never gonna Rev that high under load unless you are running alot of timing, like over 35°.

Diesel fuel is slow to burn.

Thanks for the feed back. Yes understood on the timing. It’s a 160 pump so I’m sure even with 24-26° like I plan on it isn’t going to be real strong up there passed 3k. I thought I could gain some bottom end fuel with a few clicks tighter and it seems it did but seat of the pants might not be the best way to test.

If the pump ever goes on a test stand I will have 5k’s installed. After feeling the vibe while holding it at 3k I’m kind of leaning that way now. Guessing one of the barrels is off enough to cause that.

My experience of too tight makes the throttle very touchy, more of an on/off than a smooth throttle.

It was definitely more sensitive but not a light switch by any means. It’s linear even with four more clicks in it.

When you tighten the governor springs, you loose idle strength. So if you were a manual transmission guy and like to take off without throttle input, just slip the clutch a little, your truck will stall easier with tighter governor springs. Also, when you get the springs too tight, they will sometimes hang at say 1800 RPM and not want to come back down.

I tell most costumers that want 3k fueling but excellent street manners, to run 4k springs set on the loose side. Loose 4ks will usually still fuel to 3300 or so, but they idle strong, even at 750 rpm. 3k springs set tight enough to fuel to 3200 RPM usually have weaker idle, harder starting, etc.

Thanks Will. Much appreciated guys.

Free revs to 4k no problem where they are set now. Not sure how high it will pull yet but no worries I’m not ready to party just yet haha

Oh it’s hangin as much as the 350k mile stock turbo and injectors will let it haha slowly but surely finishing up the supporting mods before it gets 5x18’s and a 467.

Man round up a set of compounds for it, the truck will be way more fun.

Something like a 60mm, over a box 475.

Bigger singles suck on these 12v's, especially a S400 single.

I'll even donate a Stainless Diesel 4" to T6 hotpipe for it.
The rest is easy, couple mandrel bends and a mig welder and it's done.

A S300G 58mm with internal gates, over a box 475 even better.

Man I’ve been back and forth for a long time. Just seemed like the compounds were always twice the price and a lot harder on the bottom end.

I’m gonna keep it in mind with the free hot pipe and all haha growing up on two strokes I figured i would be used to a bit of lag but more bottom end is always better.

Guy at diesel south I think is who had the 467 truck thread and talked to him some. Seemed to really like his setup. Hard to know what i would like with no real local guys to ride with. Everything I’ve learned on these trucks been from this website.

Oh it’s hangin as much as the 350k mile stock turbo and injectors will let it haha slowly but surely finishing up the supporting mods before it gets 5x18’s and a 467.

Oh yeah, nothing like a turbo starting to spool at 2200 rpm and rolling coal until it lights. Drag racing maybe, street truck, no thanks.

Bigger singles suck on these 12v's, especially a S400 single.

What he said.

Back