Greg Hogue Comp461 pictures from the past

Here is a neat one, Best engineered at Dallas, this inline 6 engine was one of my most controversial programs . With G.M. performance Parts help, and a little from my good friend WJ , I flew to G.M.s foundry in Toluca Mexico and persuaded them cast me some inline 6 cylinder heads without a water jacket or ports.

This head was solid cast iron, and weighed 250 lbs. Al Weis pictured here carved it in to a 81 lbs cylinder head that flowed 400 cfm of air and made 2.52 hp per cid on gasoline. Al was also the crew chief of Eddie Hills top fuel championship team. So of interest to diesel why. If he can do that with a cast iron solid chunk, he could do a diesel head out of a 12 or 24 valve head that was cast in the same way. Hmmmm .

best-1.jpg

this head was top secret for a long time , and the 260 inline 6 it set on top of made almost 700 hp running a best of 8.16 on a shut off pass. we never ran it out the back door for fear of killing the index.

dragsternx053.jpg

Notice under the ports , that’s the water jacket plugs he carved out , and hid with aluminum plugs

dragsternx055.jpg

my hat goes of to Greg. if it wasn't for people like him.this sport would be slow in progressing. he is a true pioneer in the diesel motor sport industry.i only wish i could drive some of the vehicles he has driven. keep up the good work, my friend.

Greg, nice work. I am glad you do all this for the diesel world. But I have 2 questions for you. I'm just curious.

1. If that Dr.P truck ran that clean back then, WTF is wrong now?
2. How long has ATI been building dampners for high performance tractors?

I have only spoke to Greg on the phone once...but he was very informative, and was willing to help me.
I don't know the complete history of everyone in the Diesel World, but it's cool to pick up a magazine once in a while and say, Hey...I've talked to that guy!
Interesting to see how some far out idea's helped diesel engines get to where they are today.

It just cracks me up that someone can come on here and post 1 dyno sheet and have the entire site swinging on their nuts, but Greg shows numerous photo's of his involvement with motorsports and people start bashing. How many NASCAR or Top fuel drivers own the vehicles they drive? How many engine builders publish pics of engines they can not even afford themselves?

And I can not speak of many things Greg has claimed involvement, but as far as ATI goes he is telling the truth. I was sitting in their shop when Greg called and a engineer flat out told me they never considered doing a damper for a diesel truck until Greg started hounding them to.

Low class jealousy at it's finest.

greg i just got vomit in my mouth before you there were two pro stock diesel trucks one with twins one with a single and nos both went two nhra divisional races. but if you want you can claim that you went to the moon first some will believe. i know that you were not there until late in the game way late.

It just cracks me up that someone can come on here and post 1 dyno sheet and have the entire site swinging on their nuts, but Greg shows numerous photo's of his involvement with motorsports and people start bashing. How many NASCAR or Top fuel drivers own the vehicles they drive? How many engine builders publish pics of engines they can not even afford themselves?

And I can not speak of many things Greg has claimed involvement, but as far as ATI goes he is telling the truth. I was sitting in their shop when Greg called and a engineer flat out told me they never considered doing a damper for a diesel truck until Greg started hounding them to.

It may have been ATI's first for a diesel pick up but I'm pretty sure they were building them for 466's and 360's before that. No jealousy here, just was curious.

Here is one of the recent motivational speaking events. This school is near the Naval Air station and most of the kids are military dependents, one of the reasons I have always make an effort to attend for the last 11 years .

Notice the paper towels and bottle of spray wax. This is part of my speech. It is in short about that if you want something in life, you have to be willing to work for it, even if it is at a entry level job, because that is sometimes the only way to get to the top.

I go on to explain that even in the seemly glamour’s world of racing there are jobs that might seem unimportant and not as fun to do, like wiping the car down, to keep it looking shinny.

I then go on to explain that my first task to do around a race car was just that , to wipe the car down , and that even if it seemed lowly , it was very important in that this shinny car was seen on TV and in front of the crowds. I also explained that a job like that could lead to the top job if they just pursued their dreams and put in a little work.

Then I let the kids grab a rag and some wax , They never forget a little hands on.

and it was a little dirty after coming back from a test session

careerday7.jpg

careerday8.jpg

careerday9.jpg

Last edited:
Where are the child labor laws when you need them? LOL

Great job Greg.

I think I am gonna have to get me one of those red shirts!

I remember that very well, but my saying is if you don't get a yes, you’re just not asking the question right. I also say if you knock on the door and no one answers ,,,,,,,,,, yell thru the window

I removed a few posts from this thread. While the ribbing is fun, this is Greg's Sponsor forum that he pays for. Keep the crap out of here and save it for the drag racing or staging lanes areas guys.

thanks.

Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures Greg. It was good talking to you last week and I appreciate the information. I am going have an extra motor laying around soon, if you happen to run across a 23' altered rolling chassis or something similar for sale, give me a call. The one in stock600's avatar is sweet.
Ron Allen

I removed a few posts from this thread. While the ribbing is fun, this is Greg's Sponsor forum that he pays for. Keep the crap out of here and save it for the drag racing or staging lanes areas guys.

thanks.

Good call... I was just thinking that if this was Greg's forum, he can say what he wants even if some people think he is cheerleading for himself... Way to stay un-bias Tim. :clap:

the way I see it, if you don't like Greg, don't come in his thread... simple as that. Personally Greg has help ALOT of people here, myself included. He overnighted me my ARP studs and didn't charge me the shipping and I didn't even have the money yet to pay for them. He just told me to pay when I could. He also got me my Maxspool 2.5++ cam for CHEAP... only cost me a few cam cores and some shipping. Just want to say thanks Greg! :Cheer:

Greg like the pic's and showing the kids the diesel world. I cant say enough on the information you have gave me on the phone. I know saying Thanks isnt enough.

this is a cool picture That I have recently found , its my Grandfathers gasser , who knows what kind of car it is

POPSHENERYJ.jpg

here is my first Comp car , with a Buick V6

MEINOLDWHITECAR.jpg

and I'm sure this is a yound Crewgirl at her first comp race

CREWGIRLONTHELINE.jpg

Back