Grid Heater on my Super Duty 12V?

Caleb_S

It's a satchel...
I need to install a grid heater on my 99 Super Duty with a 12V swap in it. I am currently running a GHD, so if I don't plug in my block heater with this cold weather we have been having it will not start. I am not worried about having it come on automatically at a certain temperature, but rather just having it in general. I have no problem in turning it on manually if it is too complicated to set it as close to stock as possible. Do I still need to run it through a solenoid to kick it on or can I just run it to a toggle switch in the cab and turn it on manually when it is cold out and I know I need it? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks :rockwoot:

you need a set of relays. no toggel switch will take the amps the grid heaters pull. just use a momentary switch to pull in the relays.

I used a starter solenoid and a push button starter switch. I would to come up with something better butt it works. Other things keep coming up :ft::ft: and broken nv4500s *bdh*

I used a starter solenoid and a push button starter switch. I would to come up with something better butt it works. Other things keep coming up :ft::ft: and broken nv4500s *bdh*

I like this idea. Sounds pretty simple and effective.

Use a oil pressure switch to turn it on withthe key switch power. When the motor builds oil pressure it shut the power off.

That means you'd never be able to leave the key on without the engine running.

If you could rig it up with a push button and a 30 second timer, that would be the way to go.

dont over think it, if you get a set of relays from a wrecked truck, all you need a i 5 dollar switch to bring them in. jump in the truck, push the button wait 10 seconds or so and start the truck. when the truck fires let off the button. just make sure you use big enough wire for the relays.

Yes i would do the push button working off a set of stock dodge grid heater relays! Built to take the amprage and the push button is fool proof. Just get a starter pushbutton so it will look good and everything.

Hey Caleb, I should have all the parts needed laying around if you plan on being up this way any time soon :thumbsup:

thats how my dad did his caleb i tried sending you a txt with how he did it but my phone and at&t's lovely service wont send a damn thing (useless paper weight now) lol but thats how he does it jumps in turns key on holds starter button for 15sec then fires it up and lets off
-Jon

why would u want to?

Not that you would necessarily want to do that, but if you turn the key on and happen to jump out for a minute before starting, it would be nice not having to worry about burning up the heater. Also, if the hobb switch fails, that means your grid heater will be on all the time. Have it so if something fails, its off, not on.

Back