GT 50 Volvo D16 bolt on

Leiffi

I want to use stock exhaust housing because of Volvo Engine Brake but need a bigger GT 50 UHP exhaust wheel and 80 mm GTX compressor and high flow comp housing. All piping should be bolt on because it's a working truck and blown turbo should be possible to change back to stock one on the road without extra work or parts.

Stock turbo is (not 100% sure) Garrett GT 4702BN, part number 728476-0001

Is it possible?

Call them.

Yes I think I have to call them, they don't answer e-mails.

The biggest question is if that exhaust wheel fits GT47 housing? GT 47compressor covers usually have connections in about the same spot. That high flow comp housing is some JD OEM with bigger A/R if I'm right. Does it have V-band connection ?

You will have to machi e the gt47 housing for the gt50 turbi e wheel. And to my knowledge there is not a gtx50 availible yet. There are some gt50 options from cat and detroit that may fit the bill.

You will have to machi e the gt47 housing for the gt50 turbi e wheel. And to my knowledge there is not a gtx50 availible yet. There are some gt50 options from cat and detroit that may fit the bill.

Is there enough material to machine GT 47 housing for 99mm GT 50wheel?

Yes I heard they don't sell GTX wheels separately.

I think that 99/91 turbine is some Cat or Detroit part indeed and high flow comp housing is John Deere.

Yes all gt47 ar's can be machined to fit. There is a complete gt50 from a detroit with a 82mm comp wheel and a 1.41ar gated turbine housing that might be an option.

Yes all gt47 ar's can be machined to fit. There is a complete gt50 from a detroit with a 82mm comp wheel and a 1.41ar gated turbine housing that might be an option.

Interesting.

What Detroit engine is using it? Is there any drawings where I can see the locations of the piping connections? Does that compressor have V-band connection for charge tubing?

Interesting.

What Detroit engine is using it? Is there any drawings where I can see the locations of the piping connections? Does that compressor have V-band connection for charge tubing?

If you want a true Detroit GT50, it only came on 12-cylinder genset engines...so good luck, they're very rare. The one Curtis is talking about, I think is a later TV series unit that is not the UHP wheel, but a very close forerunner (at 99mm).

GT50s were also OEM on a few Cat engines, some of which were reverse rotation and had pretty bizarre housing configurations.

You're not going to find drawings for either.

What you are trying to do is going to be very expensive and not worth it unless you are trying to go for pretty serious HP.

Have you thought of machining your housing and putting the 96mm Borg center and compressor on it? May save you a lot of money.

Last edited:
Best bet would be to purchase the turbine wheel/shaft, compressor wheel, and have the housings machined to accept each. This will most likely not be a short/easy process, there are also a few GT50 options if you know where to look.

I did not see this was posted in Forced Inductions thread, give Jose a call I'm sure he can give you some advice either way.

Last edited:
Have you thought of machining your housing and putting the 96mm Borg center and compressor on it? May save you a lot of money.

Borg Warner turbine wheel has too small exducer and I don't like them anyway. I was thinking if Holset could be machined to Garrett exhaust housing, that would be best option.

My goal is 1000+ at the flywheel.

The HX-60 turbine is in that same size range...but you're talking a new custom shaft and everything. It can be done, it's just not cheap.

Where are you located?

The HX-60 turbine is in that same size range...but you're talking a new custom shaft and everything. It can be done, it's just not cheap.

Where are you located?

Holset is 97/92, BW something like 96/87, too small exducer.

I think Garrett shaft is not custom shaft if it's used in Cat engines.

Finland.

I was referring to a HX-60 shaft/wheel in your Garrett turbo, I would be shocked if it was even close to fitting correctly, that's why I said custom shaft.

I don't think a GT50 will outflow a HX60 turbine by a lot. That '60 wheel has been putting down some serious horsepower.

Weston found a few of these newer gt50's with the uhp turbine wheel online. Best price was $1850

Last edited:
I was referring to a HX-60 shaft/wheel in your Garrett turbo, I would be shocked if it was even close to fitting correctly, that's why I said custom shaft.

I don't think a GT50 will outflow a HX60 turbine by a lot. That '60 wheel has been putting down some serious horsepower.

Complete HX 60, just Garrett exhaust housing.

Yes, I think their flow is about the same, I just thought it would be easier to mix different Garrett parts.

This new with a 7 bladed billet 82mm boreless comp wheel. Really nice looking charger. I can dig up the link later if you are interested.

Last edited:
GT50 turbine flows 58 lbs/min with a 1.08A/R

HX60 flows 54lbs/min with ~1.05 exhaust......close equivalent in CM housing.

Just an FYI

In hp terms the GT50 will support ~8.6lbs/min more compressor flow.

This new with a 7 bladed billet 82mm boreless comp wheel. Really nice looking charger. I can dig up the link later if you are interested.

Of course I'm interested. What's that 82mm comp wheel, 82/118 or something else? Might be close to surge line at lower rpm.

Back