gt4094 questions

smokeblack13

When in doubt Pin it
I just recently got a gt4094 ball bearing charger that the turbine housing has had the wastegate ports blocked off and welded. I plan on running this as a single to start but my question is should I run an external gate with this housing or buy a different housing and run the internal wastegate. This turbo came from Tom at turbo resource with the mods done. I am not sure why but the turbine outlet looks like it has had a die grinder in it to open up the outlet. That is one of the reasons I am thinking of just running a new housing. This turbo has never been run but am just trying to go the best route.

I believe its the .95 stock housing but I don't have my calipers to measure it with me

Huh? It will say on the housing you can't measure the hosing with calipers. Every gt 40 has the same turbine if that's what you mean

I thought that the gt4094 does not come with a gated turbine housing. Or is this a 3rd gen powermax kit with 4094 wheels? If it is and you plan on going twins route get external gate.

well it looks like in the volutes its stamped .89 i think it is hard to tell if its a 9 or a 5 and there are some other numbers on the outside but i dont see an a/r number. I thought you could measure the cross sectional of the housing to the center of the volutes and the inside of the volutes to figure the a/r

Ya I just realized that on garretts website that you cannot get a wastegated turbine housing. this housing was definitly wastegated at one point.

So what do you think then cliff should I leave it and run external or get a new housing. I will try and take a picture of the housing like I said the work was done for another guy that I bought the turbo from but it is definitely not round anymore. Its got bumps everywhere

I am pretty sure its not a40 housing though because it was a internally gated housing before

If you got it from Tom, it will be a stage 3 3788 housing, either .89 or .99 a/r. He likes to use the .89 mostly.

Is it t3? I'm with ya on the 40 housings not being gated internally. Sounds like soulezoo has an answer for ya

Might wanna pull the housing off and measure the wheel. I like the .99 housing better with the 94mm wheel. .85 was mass amounts of surge.

Back