gt47 vs. s400 which makes more power?

Todd W

Comp Diesel Sponsor
I have never had an s400 but do have a gt4718. My question is concerning the exhaust side. I believe the s400 has the larger exhaust wheel 96mm vs 92mm. I know that alone doesn't tell the whole story so lets assume both have an 80mm compressor wheel does the s400 with a 1.32 housing win or does the gt47 with a 1.39 housing win?

As a rule of thumb I've understood the Garrett chargers to have better turbines and BW to have better compressors. No first hand experience though so take that for what its worth.

that sounds like a hybrid project in the making. best from both, combined.

the garrett can be had with a gtx wheel so that closes the gap on compressor wheels. I am really curious on the exhaust side, can the better smaller turbine of the gt make up the difference in the size advantage of the BW?

I have never had an s400 but do have a gt4718. My question is concerning the exhaust side. I believe the s400 has the larger exhaust wheel 96mm vs 92mm. I know that alone doesn't tell the whole story so lets assume both have an 80mm compressor wheel does the s400 with a 1.32 housing win or does the gt47 with a 1.39 housing win?

thinking more along the lines of a single, don't know how the gt50 would do in that application.

If you are comparing a big turbine 1.32 borg warner and a 1.39 gt47 for singles, I think you might consider the gt50 in a .96 or 1.08. The gt50s are available through garrett with the gtx wheels.
The .96 and 1.08 are undivided housings. Not sure if the 1.39 you mentioned is divided or undivided?

We run a GT55 framed charger as a single...

the stuff that common rail guys can get away with never ceases to amaze me. I don't suppose you can stage without N20 can you? what is the A/R on that guy?

Also didn't the dirtymax crew try a gt55 as a single. I thought they were unable to make it work right?

The GT47 turbine has dated aero. It is a less efficient design than the current-gen GT50 and GT55 "UHP" wheels and as such doesn't have the ability to make as much shaft power to run big compressors.

The gasser drag cars get good results with '47 and the 0.96 open housing though. Many move up to a '55 and gain lots of power if they can get it lit. The true GT50 is pretty new to market but has great potential.

I would venture a guess and say the 96mm BW wheel would probably have the edge, but that is opinion and not based on directly comparable data.

Last edited:
GT47 vs S400 both being 92mm inducer the GT47 would be my choice, but I don't see the GT47 making more power than the 96mm S400.

the stuff that common rail guys can get away with never ceases to amaze me. I don't suppose you can stage without N20 can you? what is the A/R on that guy?

Yup we can stage on fuel, and have run a 9.79 on fuel. 1.15ar turbine housing.

With that being said it really is borderline too big, and a GT50 probably would have been a better solution, but it is what it is, and we will work with this charger for the next couple seasons.

Last edited:
I agree with weston. I run a gt4718r with a 1.39ar hotside as a single. It makes great power for what it is. The s400 96mm would flow more, now that tial is making a single entry housing for the s400 they will flow even better. If I was to spend the money, I really think a gt5018 would be a bad mofo!

Has anyone here ever ran the gt50? be nice to hear some feedback on these things.

Yup we can stage on fuel, and have run a 9.79 on fuel. 1.15ar turbine housing.

With that being said it really is borderline too big, and a GT50 probably would have been a better solution, but it is what it is, and we will work with this charger for the next couple seasons.

ridiculous!!

On the street?

phone

street manners are not important to this discussion. at least not to me. Just wondering who has used one and how it compares to the s400 or gt47.

I thought I heard the gt50 turbine shaft was such that it for bore-less compressors. I have also heard that the boreless design is great for high cycles such as garbage trucks but bad for high performance apps. Opinions?

Or maybe I have bore-less and bore-through backwards as far as cycles and performance apps. either way I heard the gt50 is not the same design as normal gt turbos and not recommended for performance.

Last edited:
I believe there are some DMAX guys running a GT50 based charger in 2.6 trucks.

Back