GTI build has started

I haven't said anything to anyone about this yet because it takes me forever to finish anything, and my threads kinda die off after a while. But now the ball has really started rolling so I figured its as good a time as ever.

I bought 4bt40's gti shell to start an alh swap into. He has pretty much done all the hard work with the car as far as stiffening and lightening goes. It has a cage that needs installed, and I need a couple little parts that he sold off before I got the idea to buy it. I'll be using the immobilizer chip, ecu, cluster and harness from an 03 jetta.

The engine is a stock crank alh block with rods, pistons, and a full gone through head that I got off a guy back in NY for a deal I couldn't pass up. It's getting an ebay t3 manifold off an 8v VW gas block with an hx35 for now, and a stock 2nd gen IC. I'm working on getting a "mechanical" pump for it, that will hopefully give me enough for 500hp. I'll be using the gti's factory efi fuel pump as a lift pump, but limited to about 10psi. All the accessories are being swapped off the beetle's block.

For now the trans will be the stock 5spd, with a southbend endurance clutch, just to get it running and to play with until I can find a full AWD setup to swap in.

It might get to the track once to see what it will trap, but it is mostly going to be autocross/street/curvy road fun car. Weight will hopefully be around 2800 with me in it

Only picture I have right now.
y7egymu6.jpg

Last edited:
500hp is rather unreasonable. Once you get to about 250whp, it takes a lot more effort to get any higher. I'm hoping to be around 350whp with my compound turbo Passat once I finish tuning. I don't think you want to fight a mechanical pump. A stock 11mm IP with some minor mods can support over 350whp with the right nozzles.

HX35 alone won't spool up until probably 4500rpm, you'll want to build the head to handle that, and the boost, bottom end will also have to be set up to handle it.

I can delete your IMMO so you can use the stock cluster, so you can read over 5300rpm. The needle stops but the revs will keep going otherwise.

Keep the lift pump under 20psi.

Who built the lower end? What rods and pistons?

Let's do this. I'm ready to see this sucker back on the road. Here is a better pic of the car cleaned up and together.

470bcfa5.jpg

500hp is rather unreasonable. Once you get to about 250whp, it takes a lot more effort to get any higher. I'm hoping to be around 350whp with my compound turbo Passat once I finish tuning. I don't think you want to fight a mechanical pump. A stock 11mm IP with some minor mods can support over 350whp with the right nozzles.

HX35 alone won't spool up until probably 4500rpm, you'll want to build the head to handle that, and the boost, bottom end will also have to be set up to handle it.

I can delete your IMMO so you can use the stock cluster, so you can read over 5300rpm. The needle stops but the revs will keep going otherwise.

Keep the lift pump under 20psi.

Who built the lower end? What rods and pistons?

I think you misunderstood some of my post LOL I put the mechanical in quotes because it's still electric, but its controlled solely with throttle and boost. That way I don't have to deal with expensive tunes and having to retune it every time the weather changes.

The head is done. rods are rostens. This block was around 400hp when the P/O pulled it.

The hx35 is just to start. I'm actually looking for an he351cw right now. I'd like to do twins, but can't figure out what I want to do for a secondary. It'd have to be such a tiny little turbo that I can't see it flowing what I want.

I went with 500hp as a goal. I'd honestly be very happy with 400.

I'll have to talk to you about the IMMO stuff. I still don't really understand what all parts are used with it.

For the AWD stuff, it's going to be whatever comes up first when I have the money LOL

I think you misunderstood some of my post LOL I put the mechanical in quotes because it's still electric, but its controlled solely with throttle and boost. That way I don't have to deal with expensive tunes and having to retune it every time the weather changes.

The head is done. rods are rostens. This block was around 400hp when the P/O pulled it.

The hx35 is just to start. I'm actually looking for an he351cw right now. I'd like to do twins, but can't figure out what I want to do for a secondary. It'd have to be such a tiny little turbo that I can't see it flowing what I want.

I went with 500hp as a goal. I'd honestly be very happy with 400.

I'll have to talk to you about the IMMO stuff. I still don't really understand what all parts are used with it.

For the AWD stuff, it's going to be whatever comes up first when I have the money LOL

Not sure how your "mechanical" pump will be any better than a proper "expensive" tune. Hell, learn how to tune it yourself with EDC Suite.

Who is the PO? I'd love to know who's actually made legit 400hp on an ALH. I have yet to hear of someone making more than 375 'bhp' on an ALH without NOS.

Size your primary, multiply the flow by .6 and start looking, then you can start doing proper math. I wrote a nice spreadsheet that maps everything out, that is how I picked out my turbos - BV43A from a PD170 and a TD06SL2 20G. The 20G is just a hair larger than needed but it responds incredibly fast with that secondary.

YXbvxvj.jpg

Not sure how your "mechanical" pump will be any better than a proper "expensive" tune. Hell, learn how to tune it yourself with EDC Suite.

Who is the PO? I'd love to know who's actually made legit 400hp on an ALH. I have yet to hear of someone making more than 375 'bhp' on an ALH without NOS.

Size your primary, multiply the flow by .6 and start looking, then you can start doing proper math. I wrote a nice spreadsheet that maps everything out, that is how I picked out my turbos - BV43A from a PD170 and a TD06SL2 20G. The 20G is just a hair larger than needed but it responds incredibly fast with that secondary.

YXbvxvj.jpg

By better, i mean i won't have to wait on tunes, get it retuned every time i change anything, and pay to retune every time.

I've heard mixed things about edc. But id love to learn to tune it myself. Do you use it?

I'm also still torn on pumps. Got several options now, but im kinda leaning towards making a 12mm. Nothing is set in stone. I'm easily influenced and change my mind a lot.

Last edited:
When you buy a custom tune from a tuner, you only pay once, rarely will there be any sort of service fee. I'm only talking about the two that are capable of tuning such a beast - Mike@TDTuning and Mark@Malone Tuning.

Your special pump will need some pretty fancy electronics or something to get that idea to work. Its nice having a huge map to modify to fine tune all different areas.

I do use EDC Suite for my Passat, it makes tuning work out so much better.

Back