GTX vs ?

little6cylinder

Everything is "fixable"
I had a GTX4294that was going on the race truck this winter but it ended up going on something else. Last season the truck had a billet 66/74/.9AR over a billet S483 and ran good but I want to put a single back on. I'm still thinking of doing a GTX4294 but the power potential of a GTX4202 makes me want one.

I want to make atleast the same power this year and I dont think that will be a problem with either GTX and the nitrous. I'm running a heavily ported big valve CR head, a Hamilton 188/220, Exergy 7x .013's, a 2 stage NX kit, a 50mm EWG, and a Scheid 12mm pump but most likly getting a Northeast 13mm this winter. I'm leaning towards the GTX 4202. Looking for some other opinions though.

Thanks, John

If you're willing to use nitrous, then the turbo doesn't matter LOL

Nitrous is for people that don't know how to turbocharge.

The nitrous will just be to see what's it like. If I like it, it'll stay on. If not I'll sell it. Like I said I've never used it but horsepower is horsepower as long as you can put it to the ground. I don't care at all about dynos, just drag racing. I'm trying to get the truck down to 6000lbs and 900-1000hp on fuel. With the old setup it was just under 900 with the wrong pistons in it:bang. I want a 9.99 time slip next year and with the GTX 4202, one of Kevin's pumps, nitrous, and 6000lbs it should be possible.:tree:

Back, on topic, if you're looking for that type of power on fuel, I'd probably go with the 4202.

Big turbos are for people who don't know how to use nitrous! :hehe:

Like drilling a hole in the intake, screwing a line into it and opening a valve is rocket science.:hehe:

If I was going to run nitrous, I'd run a small cheap S400 (S472/83 turbine) and a good sized external gate. Don't think you'd need a fancy turbo.

Back, on topic, if you're looking for that type of power on fuel, I'd probably go with the 4202.

Kinda what I was thinking. I'm not a huge fan of BW chargers.

Like drilling a hole in the intake, screwing a line into it and opening a valve is rocket science.:hehe:

:hehe: very true. I might run compounds again, just can't afford 7k for turbos this winter. To many other parts to buy.

If I was going to run nitrous, I'd run a small cheap S400 (S472/83 turbine) and a good sized external gate. Don't think you'd need a fancy turbo.

I'm just not very impressed with the power level, spool up, or longevity of BW turbos. You don't think the 76mm GTX would be a big advantage over the BW S472?

I have my steed comp and JGS 50mm gate for either turbo.

That type of mentality usually involves a lot of entertaining nitrous backfires and broken parts. Gotta have the right size solenoids and jets, a turbo that is spec'd to handle it, more wastegating, the right amount of bottle pressure, injectors sized differently, etc. Even the non-intercooled setup on mine is on purpose to be able to hit the bottle low and hard without putting the fire out, which by the way I had to do on the dyno in about 4 tenths of a second (two stages) during my run at Drake's.

Not to take it personally or anything :stab:bif LOL

Out of curiosity, why are you going away from twins? Everyone I know who drag races and has gone back to a large single also took a large step backwards....

Out of curiosity, why are you going away from twins? Everyone I know who drag races and has gone back to a large single also took a large step backwards....

Twins are nice for streetable power but I'm just trying to simplify things and I don't want to have any more secondary turbo problems common with high hp twins. This is also the reason I want to run a gtx. I know it's a more reliable turbo. The lower boost is a little easier on certain parts too. Im fairly certain I won't be going backwards though atleast I hope so. Like I said before I just can't afford the other stuff I need to do this winter along with 2 gtx turbos. Otherwise maybe I would :hehe:.

Back