GTX45 vs S480-87mm turbine

im leaning toward a GT. something in a 42 or 45 frame. 3.0 class legal.

preferably something that is non-BB to keep price down also. i dont feel that a BB charger is necessary on a 3.0 truck with the ability to leave the line at 4500+ rpm. i can see an auto truck getting benefits out of the faster spooling.

Curtis, the 4 issues i have seen have had nothing to do with oiling. That being said, you are running a decent sized housing, just monitor your pressures closely, maybe even look into a shaft speed sensor, and be ready to step up a housing if needed and im sure you will be fine.

Ok great I kind of figured a 1.44 a/r might be in the cards. Were you using an oil restricter or just the one that comes installed already? My oil pressure is around 60psi. Is that too high for the Garrett installed Restricter? Thanks for the info Rob!

Ok great I kind of figured a 1.44 a/r might be in the cards. Were you using an oil restricter or just the one that comes installed already? My oil pressure is around 60psi. Is that too high for the Garrett installed Restricter? Thanks for the info Rob!

I used the one installed which garrett said was fine. The first time it went back, they told me it was a mistake from the factory, sent me a new cartridge and said run it how it is (same housing ect), pretty much told me they would stand behind it. Guess what, the 2nd one did the same thing, except worse, when they got it the 2nd time they told me it was most defenatly overspeed and their sorry they cant do anything about it. Boost was upper 40s iirc, and drive pressure was 70s, nothing too out of hand. A garrett gt4202r was in its place before and did great, no problems, still on another truck alive and kicking. That tells me the gtx series arent what the gts were. They will last, but i wouldnt compare them to the gts.

I will run this thing for now and see what happens. If it starts causing me trouble I will do what yellow jacket did with his. By the way Rob is your charger 45 or 47 based?

I would seriously consider the 78 LI wheel with the 87 turbine and race cover on a T4 chassis. We built one for a customer and he has it installed as a single on a Duramax....its making some ridiculous power and with the 78 LI wheel spooling like a 71mm its tough to beat.

Just tested my GTX4508 dbb on saturday. All I can say is wow. This thing spools way faster than my s400 from last year and it was a 2.8 wheel! It takes 3-400 degrees less egt to get this thing to spool. 1.28a/r and I am sure it would spool the 1.44a/r with ease!

I would seriously consider the 78 LI wheel with the 87 turbine and race cover on a T4 chassis. We built one for a customer and he has it installed as a single on a Duramax....its making some ridiculous power and with the 78 LI wheel spooling like a 71mm its tough to beat.

how many blades is the LI wheel? i'd rather stay away from the gtx. so a 78mm LI clipped to 3.0?

Just tested my GTX4508 dbb on saturday. All I can say is wow. This thing spools way faster than my s400 from last year and it was a 2.8 wheel! It takes 3-400 degrees less egt to get this thing to spool. 1.28a/r and I am sure it would spool the 1.44a/r with ease!

Told you, you would love it :lolly:

Back