guages no worky...

Mudn_1

Sweet Home
Dad's 98' 12v guages stopped working...check engine and a couple other lights are on, and the ODO is flashing.... air doesnt work as well...

I have read this could be an ESS, a/c relay or the guage contacts could be dirty or loose.....

people that have experienced this, what say you?

so I pulled the sensor cleaned it and checked the harness.... set gap@ .050", still no worky....also pull instrument cluster and cleaned teminals and whatnot... nothing

when you turn key on, all lights light up, then crank and ODO flashes and no guages work, not even fuel guage... is this consitant with a bad ESS?

pretty straight forward but heres exactly what its doing... along with no a/c, I just don't want to start throwing parts at it if someone has some insight

[ame="http://s402.photobucket.com/albums/pp103/mudn_1/?action=view&current=photobucket-42082-1342891316544.mp4"]2012-07-21_12-12-18_560 video by mudn_1 - Photobucket[/ame]

Does the odometer flash no bus? I would try removing pcm connectors cleaning and re installing.

Ive checked all fuses....im thinking it could be the ess, but not positive

stupid phone

I will havw to look tom at my diagrams. Pcm gets power at 2 pins, 32 and 2i o beleve on c3. I will double check tom. Mine did the same thing turned out to be a bad pcm. You can jave it tested for $50. Rough to tell why it fried if that is the case. Do you have access to a scanner? Try the cluster self test. Do you needles bounce when you girst key on? Good luck

Needles do move a little when you turn key on, ive done self test and got 920, 921 and 999...

stupid phone

Motor is cranking still correct? Ive had the same issue but the starter wasnt fully disengaging and i had nothing on the dash. Check battery voltage also.

...and I thought my gasser sonoma was pissing me off, I'm lost here so I'll try to learn!

Jim

truck cranks and runs fine, but tits not charging, voltage is around 11.6 while running right now... batts are getting weak...

it did this once before, but after restarting the truck it was fine...I have checked a few of the grounds and retightened them... no change... I picked up another ESS, but Idon't really think it will fix it either... but what I haven't confirmed is;

when people have ESS problems, do any of the guages work? or none? I understand the tach and voltmeter, but does the fuel guage, speedo, and temp guage go out as well?

his truck has right at 102k and has never been barely touched except by me.... I replaced a oilpress sender a few months ago... but thats about it as far as problems... I've added HID's most recent, but they still work fine and we all know how finicky(sp?) the grounds are with those

i had a problem with my 97, the pcm is shutting down when you lose you gauges, its due to a shorted out sensor wire. on my 97 it turned out to be the harness from the Vehicle speed sensor on the top of the transfer case had enough slack in it that it had been rubbing along the front driveshaft. once it rubbed thru it was pulling too much voltage and causing the pcm to go into protection mode and shut down. start checking any and all of your PCM sensor inputs and start tracing them and checking anywhere they could have rubbed thru and shorted

I agree.... just wanted some common places before I pull my hair out, I'm not the best wiring diagnoser person

turned out to be a combination of wire rubbed and sensor bad.... the wire had rubbed right bewtween the radiator hose and the head.... where the ESS wires come out of main harness.... so I fixed and relocated that and tried old sensor and it still didn't work, and tried new sensor and it came alive....

Looking at a '98 12v tonight with the same issue. Forgive my ignorance, but what is ESS? Will start with checking for grounding wires first. Helpful thread, thank you!

Back