Hard Start unless facing downhill

Nor_Cal_Angler

Hey guys and gals,

Haven't posted in awhile, but I need some help

Sig. truck is having hard start problems...

Unless it is facing downhill, the truck will crank and crank and not fire unless I prime it hardcore. Basically bumping the FP 5+ times and pedal goosing as I crank.

The obvious items needed to get out of the way are
1. FP is good 15psi running and supplying fuel at 1,3,4
2. Fuel Filter has less than 3k on it
3. O-rings have been replaced yesterday
4. No ground issues, cables and connections are good battery shows 14 running and cold it builds up to 13-14 havent load tested it.
5. Only on a cold start, no hot restart issues, can run it for miles stop shut down and it will fire right up
6. No stumble once running
7. No idle missing, or erratic RPM's
8. No CHECK ENGINE, even scanned it just to make sure

Basically if I let it sit ie. parked in the driveway (slight nose up, uphill) I lose my prime (that's what I have deduced)

Only once did it have a hard time (in the last week) starting on level ground.

Backed into the driveway or nose down it fires right up first crank as if there was NO problem.

Stumped????

Air somewhere??? High Pressure Side of IP???

All feed back is appreciated.

Thanks

Norcal

Check the return line at the beck of the head and all the compression fitting on the return side.

cross tube oring issue

If cross tube oring = connector tube oring they have been replaced (Friday)

edit...after getting her to fire last night, I drove her around and backed into the driveway. Nose down overnight sit...FIRED RIGHT UP NP!!!!!!

Last edited:
I fought this same issue for a while. I replaced the connector tube o-rings and still had the same issue. I checked all my connector tubes and saw that one was not seating properly on the injector. I replaced it and seemed like the problem was still there. I kept getting fuel on the head by the injector lines from one or two cylinders. At this point I have had enough, so I continued to loosen the injectors and connector tubes and re tighten them. Each time I would rotate the connector tube slightly to a different orientation. It finally sealed up and I haven't had any issues since. Good Luck!

I fought this same issue for a while. I replaced the connector tube o-rings and still had the same issue. I checked all my connector tubes and saw that one was not seating properly on the injector. I replaced it and seemed like the problem was still there. I kept getting fuel on the head by the injector lines from one or two cylinders. At this point I have had enough, so I continued to loosen the injectors and connector tubes and re tighten them. Each time I would rotate the connector tube slightly to a different orientation. It finally sealed up and I haven't had any issues since. Good Luck!

Would this be something that can come out of no where?? I haven't had an issue like this for over 3 yrs when I dropped in the Jammers. I mean I would think that a static part shouldn't move or cause a problem if they haven't been moved or opened in 3 yrs.

Vibration, thermal expansion/contraction can put parts under cyclic loading and cause them to just wear out prematurely. I would try to narrow down which connector tube is the problem and try to work with that one until is stops leaking.

Check the return line at the beck of the head and all the compression fitting on the return side.

x2, usually the t-fitting is loose where the injection pump ties into the injector return off the head

mine would back itself off after a week or so, so I replaced the compression fitting

how many miles on the truck? is it the original pumps in the truck as well?

Back