Hard starting triple turbo p-pumped 12v

a1_dieselmech

Finished swapping a 12v in my 04 Dodge 2500 Took truck on first long drive about 80 miles ran great, tried starting next day took at least 3 times of cranking before it fired. Used to fire up within about 2 seconds of cranking.List of mods are aeromotive a1000 pump set at 35psi supply fuel pressure , 5x16 injectors, 4gsk, and timing set at 17.5*. Installed new torktek 060 overflow valve no change still starts hard checked all fittings both return/supply all tight and are brand new lines. Think maybe pump timing slipped but soon as it starts ran as smoothly as it did before. Kinda lost for ideas since most my knowledge isn't in mechanical injection pumps

Thanks in advance.

It sure seems like it but when I key it on and the lift pump runs my fuel pressure gauge at the inlet of the injection pump reads 35psi right away

If you give it a little pedal while cranking what does it do? Sometimes you have to bump it to get them to start

Is your timing at 17.5 now or is that what it was set at when you put the engine in the truck? Double check timing if you haven't . With different gov springs, I usually have to push on accelerator pedal just a bit when starting. Check to make sure electric fuel shut off is going all the way up. Turn key to on position and push arm up towards shutoff solenoid and see if it moves further. If you think it is fuel dranback related, what are condition of return hoses from pump/injectors to the tank? Hose clamps tight? I have heard of guys putting vise grip on return hose to see if overflow valve is faulty.

It was set at 17.5 when assembled haven't checked it yet but plan on it didn't seem likely to me cause it idled just as smooth as it always did but could be very possible. All return lines are brand new aeroquip all the way back to tank I'll check the fuel shutoff I've got it on a cable with springs pulling it back to run position but will check it. Fuel pressure does drop down to 1-2 psi while cranking but the way the pump is wired it shuts off while cranking. Should I wire it to a toggle so it doesn't shutoff while cranking seemed to start fine before with it wired that way

Is your timing at 17.5 now or is that what it was set at when you put the engine in the truck? Double check timing if you haven't . With different gov springs, I usually have to push on accelerator pedal just a bit when starting. Check to make sure electric fuel shut off is going all the way up. Turn key to on position and push arm up towards shutoff solenoid and see if it moves further. If you think it is fuel dranback related, what are condition of return hoses from pump/injectors to the tank? Hose clamps tight? I have heard of guys putting vise grip on return hose to see if overflow valve is faulty.

If you give it a little pedal while cranking what does it do? Sometimes you have to bump it to get them to start

Didn't seem to make a difference but will try it thanks

Back