Hard to start

Dustin Manis

My 2000 is a pain to start, I get into the truck to start it and turn the key on and hear the lift pump run then it shuts off and when I try to start it it just cranks like I have air in the system, so I stop cranking and the lift pump runs for thirty seconds or so and when it turns off I try again and it just cranks, so I repeat the process and it the lift pump turns off and it cranks for a second and finally fires up. I have to do that alteast three or four times, but it only does it when i get it up to normal temp and shut it off, then try to start it again. Any ideas? Is the injection pump dying?

Sounds like the diaphram in the pump is cracked, making for hard starts when the pump is hot! check the codes, but it might not throw any

I just checked the codes, and there isn't any new ones. Just old ones I've had for a while

Which are.... .... ?

Drove a truck with similar problems.

It was actually 2 cracked injector lines, under a tie down. I have no idea if the heat of the engine was causing the lines to open more and bleed off sooner, or if it was just an odd coincidence that it only did it when warm, but it sure took a while to diag.

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? What it is doing when the pump turns on?

The codes are p0743, p0753, p1762, p1765, p1693. I wasn't worried about the codes because they have been there for a while and the truck started doing this last friday. I haven't watched the fuel pressure gauge when it won't start, but i just started it cold and it fired right up and the fuel pressure was at five when I cranked on it then shot up to 15 when it started

Back