Has anyone lowered their 4x4?

CoreDiesel

I have a 06 4x4 and I've already lowered the back by taking the helper springs out. And I want to lower the front about 2 inches and the back a little more. What have y'all done to lower the front. I'm thinking of cutting a cool out of the spring what do y'all think will work best?

I've heard of heating the coil spring with a torch until desired height is achieved. Sounds a little backwoods to me.

I don't want to try it so you should and report back.

DO NOT heat the coils, you'll ruin them.

Start with cutting half a coil out at a time till desired height is achieved is my best suggestion.

As for the rear leaf pack. remove the zero rates from the pack and it should help drop it. I don't think there are enough zero rates to lower it enough to level if you're lowering the front as well but you'll get the idea.

Personally I'd remove the rear zero rates first and then decide how far you want to drop the front to level.

For the Rear try Drop Shackles.

What about the pinion angle change with the drop shackles? I have a set I'm wanting to try but have been told they throw the pinion angle off and by the time it is shimmed it cuts the drop in half. Do you have any other thought on this?

I have 2500 hemi springs in mine, didnt lower any measurable amount. It does ride 1000% better now! I plan on going lower once I get some kind of traction device on the rear.

The shackle will cause the Angle to be off, nothing a wedge wouldn't fix.

I put the Shackles on my Dmax ran it with no issues at all(pulling and Drag Racing). So personally I wouldn't worry about it.

The rear, air bags and take springs out till its where you want it!

How 'bout sell it and buy a candy ass 2wd. :bang

:hehe: Lowering a 4x4. WTH will folks think of next?

How 'bout sell it and buy a candy ass 2wd. :bang

:hehe: Lowering a 4x4. WTH will folks think of next?

Same as people who lift them but never drive off the pavement

I wouldn't cut coils, it only stiffens the ride as you remove more coils. Maybe that wouldn't bother you but it would bother me.

I also don't believe a drop shackle would significantly affect the pinion angle. If it does, buy whatever degree shims you need and stick 'em in. Problem solved.

I cut a little over 1/2 a coil in the front coils, and removed all but two leafs. It launches VERY well and have no ride issues what so ever.
DSC00353.jpg

My buddy cut two full coils out of his truck. I have hemi coils I am putting in now, and will probably end up cutting one coil out. The hemi coils are Alot softer.

My buddy cut two full coils out of his truck. I have hemi coils I am putting in now, and will probably end up cutting one coil out. The hemi coils are Alot softer.

Hemi coils (2500 quad cab) didnt lower my truck any noticable amount. I removed 2 inches from the rear and hemi coils, the truck sits nice and level and rides so much better

How did he cut two full coils, with 3/4 of a single coil my truck is right at the bump stop?

How did he cut two full coils, with 3/4 of a single coil my truck is right at the bump stop?

Is there a difference in number of active coils between 2nd and 3rd gens? Maybe he's got a different truck all together.

I cut 1 coil out and I hate it. I love the ride height but the coil sits in the upper bucket funny now. Measure before and after and call coil spring specialities. $250 will get you progressive rate springs, I think they will go 2" lower than stock. I took out the bottom overload and the small block on the rear. It sits about .5-1" higher in the rear.

This is a stock height tire.

amy7ydes.jpg

Hemi coils (2500 quad cab) didnt lower my truck any noticable amount. I removed 2 inches from the rear and hemi coils, the truck sits nice and level and rides so much better

The ones I got were from a 96 hemi and seem worn out a bit. I'm going from a 4" lift to lowering it about 4" so I'm not sure what the stock coils would be compared to hemi coils.

The ones I got were from a 96 hemi and seem worn out a bit. I'm going from a 4" lift to lowering it about 4" so I'm not sure what the stock coils would be compared to hemi coils.

Well 96 wasnt a hemi...but besides that, were they from a 1500 or 2500?

Back