Hauling your truck (GVRW CDL requirements)

My dad got a ticket last year for pulling his empty 20ft tandem dual gooseneck behind his 03 dodge down in Louisville. He was given the exact same speech the OP gave. They wouldn't let him leave the side of the road with his truck. He had to call one of his customers he deals with 30 miles from him to send a driver to get him out of there.

Everything DOT related is about ratings and what something is CAPABLE of carrying not your word and what you say. I worked for a trucking company for 8 years through college and high school and we had to change every super single tag tire out to a 315 because the axle was rated higher than the tires were. (stupid for a super single rated as low as they were). The owner kept getting tickets and eventually gave in and changed them all. The capable 315 was much more affordable than a super single so killed two birds with one stone.

I am sorry I love farmers to death. My dad farms. Most of my friends farm but for gods sake farmers should have to get a dam CDL to have a semi on a public road. Period. It is bullchit and they are some of the worst drivers on the road around here. Swift and Schneider look like pros compared to some of these jackoffs.

If you haul a vehicle for someone for free....you are good. If you charge them $1.00, then it's commerce. Retarded ass bull crap laws.

There is a catch-22 to driving past scales. If they look out and see DOT placards they expect you to stop...unless they can plainly see you have hay or a farm commodity on board. Then, they might or might now chase you down to see a bill or laden to find out if it is your hay or equipment or not. All someone has to do is make a fake bill of laden and state it is their stuff going from here to there. They get to go free. That is how ridiculous the laws are. They don't even make sense and are so easy to dodge in a 1-ton.

The thing that really pisses me off is my dad lost his CDL about 4 years ago. He had a stroke and made a perfect full recovery. They revoked it anyways. He drove a semi from the age of 16-54 with no accidents and drove race cars for a hobby on the side through most of those years. Yet he couldn't take his 1 ton pickup truck and trailer and drive home. That is why I am salty towards the people who don't need a CDL because they are somehow qualified because of their load?

edit: yes 16-54. He still has his first CDL endorsed license where his birth date was altered 2 years. True story. It took him years to get the documentation necessary to change it to the correct date.

Last edited:
I've kinda been looking into getting mine for a while now, just haven't got the book read very much yet. Seems like every other paragraph contradicts one another. I know I'm skating a fine line with a tandem dual trailer rated for 25k, and 90%+ of the time having a tractor on there and the book saying farm use is exempt. Any of the Ohio guys care to possibly pm me some actual info on what I would need to try to get to cover myself?

My dad got a ticket last year for pulling his empty 20ft tandem dual gooseneck behind his 03 dodge down in Louisville. He was given the exact same speech the OP gave. They wouldn't let him leave the side of the road with his truck. He had to call one of his customers he deals with 30 miles from him to send a driver to get him out of there.

Everything DOT related is about ratings and what something is CAPABLE of carrying not your word and what you say. I worked for a trucking company for 8 years through college and high school and we had to change every super single tag tire out to a 315 because the axle was rated higher than the tires were. (stupid for a super single rated as low as they were). The owner kept getting tickets and eventually gave in and changed them all. The capable 315 was much more affordable than a super single so killed two birds with one stone.

I am sorry I love farmers to death. My dad farms. Most of my friends farm but for gods sake farmers should have to get a dam CDL to have a semi on a public road. Period. It is bullchit and they are some of the worst drivers on the road around here. Swift and Schneider look like pros compared to some of these jackoffs.

Back to the COPS not knowing the laws they are to enforce...

Half the reason why I'm trying to build a toter/hauler. Registered RV, No rules. I guess all you need is a bed, microwave, and fridge.

That being said, My 05 SRW pickup and 03 Big Tex tandem axle single wheel trailer do not total 26k, so I like to think that I'm fine.

Capable off?
This truck and trailer was capable of grossing 32,000.. Plated for 26,000.. I had several DOT cops go by the GVWR of each to get combined weight... 15+19=34. With only 32k worth of axles!!!
I had too school the idiots on how a truck plates etc..
561427_4002703219547_1579075172_n.jpg

Rules state the axle capacity limit it the limit of the weakest link... If you have a 20k axle with 10k worth of tires you have an over built 10k axle.. And legally, DOT cop can't site you for anything unless the axle is over the limit of the weakest link

Last edited:
in Wisconsin 26k is the magic gvwr #. it doesn't matter if the trailer is empty or loaded, a cdl is required. stickers labeling "not for hire" or "recreational vehicle" do not exempt you from a class one on sight inspection. the laws are becoming more strict and 20k is rumored to be pushed through next. this is due to the fact of our highways being cluttered with to many idiots and their oversized campers, boats, horse trailers or any other individual who's drivers license entitles them to haul a trailer, yet remain to drive like they are piloting a car. :nail:

I agree. The laws should be written with safety in mind, not some senators opinions that only hauls a golf cart on Sundays. It should all be about the actual weight. If you weight over the limit, then by all means, you should follow the laws and do all the crap. If you have 40K worth of rating and are only hauling a Mazda Miata...and gross 17K...then you shouldn't have to jump through hoops to do it.

If your schidt isn't safe, then by all means, get a ticket, no matter what you weigh. We don't need a bunch of stupid laws to enforce just to keep idiots and their heaps off the highway. We need one law for under #26K or what ever the new limit will be. "unsafe for operation" Period.

Half the reason why I'm trying to build a toter/hauler. Registered RV, No rules. I guess all you need is a bed, microwave, and fridge.

That being said, My 05 SRW pickup and 03 Big Tex tandem axle single wheel trailer do not total 26k, so I like to think that I'm fine.
It's not supposed to have a 5th wheel either but no one has ever been hit with that.

I have a 46' G-Neck race trailer. In Ga I was told by our DOT that we could be 100' overall with my RV and that GA didn't really have any laws pertaining to the RV. I am 64', have a CDL, with reflectors, and extinguisher. I do not go thru the scales, but when I enter FL I go thru there AG stops. Only once was pulled over the side at the AG center because the officer thought I was longer than that. Been asked what I had in my trailer, which is my golf cart and HD. There response...... have a nice day. Never have they wanted to look inside. I keep my stuff clean, well maintained, don't speed, (tires govern that). There is no advertising what so ever, not even the trailer manufacture . The bottom line is everything is mine and I am not for hire.

Bring up the fact that you are competing for prize money too. LOL Next hurdle to jump!

For an RV, believe you need shower/toilet as well.

For an RV, believe you need shower/toilet as well.

Negative. Needs place to prepare food, place to store food and no 5th wheel. Friend converted a KW T800 to an RV. Just added a microwave and cheap refrigerator. Then converted it back to a commercial truck after a few years.

The competing for $$ is an issue too but just like the 5th wheel I've never heard of anyone actually getting challenged on it.

Depends on the state. Tennessee requires a bathroom and has to be permanent so no throwing the kids porta potty in and calling it good.

Yep varies quite a bit. Here in MI I was told the porta potty would fly, but had to have separate dinette and bunk space, fridge, cooking device microwave being fine, fresh and gray water tanks, sink with facet, shore power, separate heater/a/c from truck. I was reamed years ago by DOT because the drag car I was hauling had speed parts stickers on it, "contingency" stickers he called them, so because I might get paid for having them on the car I was commercial even though it was a half ton with single axle trailer. The number of restrictions now is unreal, no manual trans, no fifth wheel, etc.

Negative. Needs place to prepare food, place to store food and no 5th wheel. Friend converted a KW T800 to an RV. Just added a microwave and cheap refrigerator. Then converted it back to a commercial truck after a few years.

The competing for $$ is an issue too but just like the 5th wheel I've never heard of anyone actually getting challenged on it.

So you can take the 5th wheel off and put a crossmember with a 2-5/16 gooseneck ball and its legit, right?

The 5th wheel is fine as long as you have the required things to be an rv. I had this discussion with the dmv guy in the main office. We went thru it step by step because i had some info he didnt. And i guess there is no more of an asshole state for wanting your money than n.y.

Before more of this my uncles brothers friend type info gets shared I would suggest you go read about what your state has to say. The SEMA people have a nice website explaining it all by state: http://semasan.com/page.asp?content=motorsports_trailers&g=SEMAGA&_ga=1.120970696.1978180291.1455905261

Motorsports Exemption: Are you required to obtain a “DOT” registration for your truck/trailer hauling a race care if crossing state lines? Not if you fall within the exemption guidelines. The FMCSA has issued guidance (49 CFR Part 390.3) that states:

§ 390.3: General applicability.

(f) Exceptions. Unless otherwise specifically provided, the rules in this subchapter do not apply to—
(3) The occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise;

Question 21: Does the exemption in §390.3(f)(3) for the ‘‘occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise’’ apply to persons who occasionally use CMVs [commercial motor vehicles] to transport cars, boats, horses, etc., to races, tournaments, shows or similar events, even if prize money is offered at these events?

Guidance: The exemption would apply to this kind of transportation, provided: (1) The underlying activities are not undertaken for profit, i.e., (a) prize money is declared as ordinary income for tax purposes, and (b) the cost of the underlying activities is not deducted as a business expense for tax purposes; and, where relevant; (2) corporate sponsorship is not involved. Drivers must confer with their State of licensure to determine the licensing provisions to which they are subject.

Back