Haze at idle???

Lanky

Hey guys, I have been chasing a haze at idle issue for a few months now. I feel like I have gone through everything I can think of to correct the issue, however it is still present. The truck in question is a P-pump 24v. I am running a 12mm Industrial Injections Dragon Fly, I swapped out the full cuts for some 191's.#6 plate. I'm running E.D 6x16's that have been re-worked by Weston, and my AFC has been tuned by Weston. I have .84 mild steel conversion line into factory delivery tubes. Pump is fed with 45PSI of fuel pressure by and airdog II for air I have a set of Engineered Diesel Twins that have basically no miles. The head and block are o-ringed, but otherwise stock ARP studs. I have a reground cam(unknown) stock pushrods/rockers, 110 valve springs ti keepers and retainers. The truck doesn't seem to burn any coolant. to me it seems like a fueling issue. While with factory injectors, I get no haze at all.

Here is a video of the truck at idle http://vimeo.com/16450992

Last edited:
i run 6x.016s to and they got a pretty heavy haze to them to aswell. id say its just the size of the injectors. i have taked to a lot of people that say they haze a lot

Last edited:
Is your truck hot or cold there? If cold, does it clean up when its warm? My 7x12's haze pretty good when cold, but clean up quickly with some engine heat. Quicker than the 5x14's in my 12v.

Are your injectors sac nozzles? Pretty sure those haze more than a VCO nozzle even with the same size.

The 6x16's are sac nozzles... I am starting to assume that it is just the style of injector.... In the video the truck is up to temp. when the truck first starts it is a touch whiter in color, then as it warms up it blackens out. The timing is measured by lift value at 18* as we speak, and in the video. I have tried it as low as 14* and as high as 30* only change is injection noise and bottom end. Up at the higher timing I also notice a bit more rattle, white smoke...

I wouldn't mind alot of smoke after idle, it just sucks sitting in traffic, watching people roll up there windows and back up... It's funny at first, then you strat to feel like your driving a junker with a bad head gasket:bang

WhiteKnight, can you shoot me a video at idle warmed up? I would like to see how I stack up?

Last edited:
My 7x12s only haze when cold. Once warmed up they are clean as ever. Timing is at 24*. My old 11 holes would haze at idle hot or cold with my VP pump.

I have tried alot of injectors, I have the same problem a 7 hole vco style tip will fix the problem. I have a set of RCP 7x010s with lift that run pretty clean and only haze when cold. The sac do make more power and spool better. I run the vco for daily driving. Apples to apples 6x012 sac vs 7x010 vco I lost power 732 to 688 but it is much much cleaner.The 6x016 are a really big injector to much imo. My 6x012 smoke like hell at full boost with the plate almost all the way back and 181 dvs with a non bench 215 pump.

My 7x14s dont haze that much at idle...

I can see how that would get annoying, especially with a side exit exhaust. I would give a different set of injectors a try.

I run 7 x .013 and they idle very clean. 6 x .018 are alot dirtier. Pop off pressure make a big difference too. If the injectors are more than a year old you might want to check them. If they drop down below 270 bar they get hazey. I have a 13mm pump so it's not a perfect comparison.

I just received the injectors back from Weston an hour before the video was shot. So I have 100% faith in the injector being perfectly setup. I am assuming that it is the sac style nozzle that is the culprit. Looks like I will be ordering another set of injectors.... I will also be throwing back in my other delivery valves... Sucks because it's another $1000 down the tubes. These injectors only have a total of under 200 miles :doh: Anyone need a set of 6x16's????:hehe:

Id keep them, talk to Ryan at RCP he can set you up pretty cheap compared to most. I would run 191s and a set of his 7x010 with 010 lift and they should be good for 800hp. I have been in the low 700s with them with 181s and a bullet.

It was the injectors... Got some DDP 200 VCO style injectors, Hazed for about 30 seconds after initial startup. Now idles super clean. Looks like my injector woes are over... I was questioning the motor for a bit, so I feel like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders....

The truck is noticeably slower, and slower to spool the chargers... But its worth it to be able to drive it...

Back