HD 3rd gen front driveshafts?

GRotman

Chief Indian
I have seen alot of the 3rd gen guys breaking the front Driveshafts. What is available to beef them up? Or are you guys just keeping a spare?

I twisted mine off my 2nd gen. So I had a driveshaft place make me a heavier wall one.

I think there is a yoke available for the tcase, but the issue is the yoke on the axle. There have been a few put together, basically make a flat plate on axle flange, and then bolt the yoke of your choice to it.

Thats what we found too Dan, the axle side poses the problem unless you built something custom.

Thats what we found too Dan, the axle side poses the problem unless you built something custom.

2 guys down here did that. They ground the axle piece flat, then bolted a flat stock to it, and then bolted the yoke of their choice to that. I think they used the stock tubes though, so far pretty good luck. Both of them are automatics so they load them pretty good at the line. One of them is an older feller, and I think he is scared to pop that thing past 10 psi on the line.:poke:. Granted he has a very tight convertor so it is really torquing on it.

na he's just scared cause if it breaks he cant bend over to look under the truck!! ive been leaving around 15-18 but i kinda had to cause anything less the turbo wouldn go. we used a little bigger tubes but not by much.

2 guys down here did that. They ground the axle piece flat, then bolted a flat stock to it, and then bolted the yoke of their choice to that. I think they used the stock tubes though, so far pretty good luck. Both of them are automatics so they load them pretty good at the line. One of them is an older feller, and I think he is scared to pop that thing past 10 psi on the line.:poke:. Granted he has a very tight convertor so it is really torquing on it.

"OLDER FELLER", GIMME A BREAK, not old when compared to dirt!!!

Actually we didn't grind the teeth off of the front end, we took the piece that the teeth are made on the front yoke and machined the yoke portion off which left us the teeth portion that will engage with the front end, we welded that to a flate piece of plate that bolts to yoke on the drive line. We still used the original holes that hold the the 2 pieces with engagment teeth together but the bolt goes all the way through with nuts, these bolts also extend the other direction through the plate that is welded to the piece that has the alignment teeth on it.

That's torque baby, when you can bust the front driveshaft with 7 lbs of boost. I get this convertor loosend up I'm gonna stand on her till I see about 40 then let er eat!!!!

na he's just scared cause if it breaks he cant bend over to look under the truck!! ive been leaving around 15-18 but i kinda had to cause anything less the turbo wouldn go. we used a little bigger tubes but not by much.

K knucklehead, next time you blow that tranny who gonna call!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry i had to. j/k thanks for all the help couldnt have done it without ya

You can use a combination joint on the axle side and reuse the (toothed) yoke that bolts to the frontend

Back