he351 over S475 questions

Penni

ok so i have some questions regarding this... i know there are kits out there for this exact thing, i have done a lot of research but i can not come to a conclusion. i have been reading on this for weeks, reading a LOT of old threads. and i also know this concept has been beat into the ground so bare with me please.

(links below each manufacturer underlined)

stainless diesel kits
Twin Turbo Kits

$2950 but designed for a s300 secondary, and its just the plumbing no other hardware that i know of

source auto
2003 - 2007 Dodge 5.9L Cummins Twin Turbo Kit

$3300 this kit has great reviews and is very inclusive, with the brackets and options for studs, and exhaust upgrades and whatnot

diesel powersource
S400 Twin Turbos 03-12 - Diesel Power Source

$3500 but everyone doesnt like the silicone cold pipe... bad reviews with most threads i reviewed

industrial

Shop | Category: 2003-2011 Dodge Compound Turbos | Product: 5.9L ADD A TURBO KIT

$3300 also has great reviews, but not exactly sure what the kit comes with...

Note: i am impartial on all of this, not making any accusations just combining all that i have researched

Now, moving on; these are all kits which utilize the stock turbo and with that there are certain things one can do to optimize the stock charger in a twins set up.
Upgrading HE351 for use in a twin setup - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together
he351 spring style wastegate actuator - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together
(page 5 has a really good picture)

drill the wastegate port out to 1" and then the homemade spring style wastegate.

so secondary tweeks and primary kits covered, studs are a good idea over 50psi ($500), check...

My problem is that i can not fathom that a s475 ($800) and then modifications to the charger i already have (relatively free say <$50) how on earth are these kits $3000 and up?? i know they are inclusive and come with all the "little" things but am i missing something?

the obvious answer is to buy some pipe and fabricate my own, however i cant weld very well... hence my predicament... surely someone has realized this same thing by now... any ideas would be greatly appreciated....

I installed a DPS kit about a month ago. It fit PERFECTLY and the customer is super happy. Its a tow rig with stock fueling so I don't know what its like for making decent power.

The answer for inexpensive twins is buy the piping etc. used and customize it for your application.

Or $1250 for new piping and $650 for a box stock primary plus shipping etc.

There is some missing from my original post for some reason? But, I'm not saying DPS is a bad product. That's not the point at all, my point is in general how are all these kits $3000 and up when the raw materials add to roughly: $750 charger, $500 piping, $300 all misc, brackets, oil lines etc.... clearly I'm missing something?

Sent from phone

estrada... that $1250 you speak of, is that a plumbing kit of some kind? or just raw materials...

i feel like i might be way off base in thinking that something just doesnt add up when the raw materials are $1500 ish and these kits are $3000+

Thank you gentlemen, much appreciated

Sent from phone

The reason for their higher prices is the fabrication time to fit it to the vehicles and make sure it will fit multiple model years and options. I had less than 1500 in mine, that I did myself, but it took several weeks of evenings and weekends. I can not weld well, but I have friends that can, and they helped with the piping. Sometimes the fact that you can buy the kit and be good to go in a weekend vs spending hours upon hours online ordering every part needed, fabricating the piping, etc. might be worth it to some. I know for my parts I had orders from seven different vendors, and had to make orders twice from some because I forgot parts. Not to mention buying some parts local and my time involved with that. Your time is worth something and you have to remember that when spending the 3k on a kit vs 1500 and many hours of your time getting parts and fabricating everything you are going to have.

Last edited:
I bet there is 10 hours of time spent fabbing a set of piping and brackets. At $100/hr it adds up quick. A tech/machinist must be paid, along with everyone else and including overhead.

Thoughtful responses, and it does make sense in regards to overhead and whatnot... and as much as i hate to admit it, this probably wont happen for a long while, but i have been on the "twins" kick for a few weeks and starting doing some research... so i appreciate the thoughts and opinions guys

Fitment is everything. Do you want to buy something you have to modify? Want the down pipe not to hit the frame? You get what you pay for.

You can also pay extra for a name that doesnt fit well. Do your research and buy what works for you.

as with all things in life... and all of us can relate to that statement in some fashion or another... but i have to interject with a large "BUT" in this case.... in my personal opinion, obviously not the correct one.... i would not be able to justify spending $3000+ when the materials themselves cost less than half that... but i can also clearly see where Gibson is coming from in regards to shop costs, overhead etc... oh well, either way i was looking for informed opinions to which i received... thank you all again.

Back